2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2021 3:23 PM by Daniel Gibson

Looking for Vietnam war computer data.

Daniel Gibson Newbie

I am doing research into Robert Mcnamara and his data analysis during Vietnam. I read that there are large amounts of digital archived data sets but I do not know how to go about getting or even finding digital data from the archives as they are not papers or documents but rather computer files. Does anyone have any experience in this regard?

• Re: Looking for Vietnam war computer data.
          Alex Champion Scout

Hello Mr. Gibson, and thank you for submitting your question to History Hub!

We suggest you review the National Archives page concerning Vietnam era electronic records, which include digital physical media and data files.

An advanced search in the National Archives Catalog for “Vietnam,” “Data Files,” and limited to 1960-1969 resulted in 638 hits, 42 of which are records series.

In addition to examining the links above, we suggest contacting the Electronic Records Reference Services (RDE) at this address cer@nara.gov for further assistance.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDE. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

Thank you again for submitting your question to History Hub!