7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2021 12:22 PM by Lowell Silverman Branched to a new discussion.

Understanding Army Orders of WWII

Robert Stallard Wayfarer

I'm trying to follow the timing of my father's movements during his Army service in WWII.  Lee G Stallard was inducted 15 Jun 1944.  He left the States in late 1944 or early 1945 for duty in the China/Burma/India Theater and was honorably discharged 13 May 1946. He departed from San Francisco on the USS Randall AP-115, for Bombay, India via Tasmania and continued by rail to Ledo, Assam, India via Calcutta. Then he was flown over the hump into China where he remained for about 15 months.  Lee must have been in transit to India in late 1944 and/or early Feb 1945.  After spending many months operating a mess hall for officers in Kunming and Nanking, he left China from Shanghai for San Francisco in Spring of 1946.

Orders: 5 Mar 1945 Pvt Lee G Stallard assigned to IGD Sec

Issued by Headquarters, Services of Supply, United States Forces in China Theater; APO 627

6. Following enlisted men, having been assigned to this Headquarters effective 26 Feb 1945

_____________________ Headquarters United States Forces China Theater APO 627 dated 24 Feb 1945, are, confirming

_____ of 26 Feb 1945, further? assigned Headquarters and Headquarters Command? for duty with section indicated.

Is my translation correct?  Can anyone complete it?

It says Lee joined this headquarters in 26 Feb 1945. Can anyone tell if this was in Ledo, Assam, India?  The top of the page (not shown) gives the Headquarter's name with APO 627, which is Kunming, China, not APO 689 for Ledo.  Does this mean Lee arrived in Kunming on 26 Feb 1945?

Does IGD Sec stand for Inspector General's Department Section?

I know Lee did type writing in a high officer’s office for a short time, maybe in Ledo or Kunming, but he didn't stay long in Ledo.  Does anyone know if “IGD Sec” indicates office work or work in a mess hall (He operated the mess hall in China)? Could these orders be issued after Lee's arrival in Kunming to do typing in the Inspector General's office in Kunming?

Is it unlikely that these are orders to leave Ledo and to go to Kunming?  If these are travel orders, can I assume that once issued, they are to be acted without delay? 

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Bob Stallard

• Re: Understanding Army Orders of WWII
          Elliot Schneider Ranger

Hello Robert,

VOCG - verbal order commanding general

FUR- Furrlough

1. 6. Following enlisted men, having been assigned to this Headquarters effective 26 Feb 1945

_pp. 5   Special Order (SO) #55____________________ Headquarters United States Forces China Theater APO 627 dated 24 Feb 1945,

are, confirming

___verbal order commanding general (VOCG)__ of 26 Feb 1945, furlough assigned Headquarters and Headquarters Company? for duty with section indicated.

3 people found this helpful
            Robert Stallard Wayfarer

Thanks for your help.  Here is another order my father received:

15 Nov 1945 Assignment for duty at Hq SOS 6T

Issued by Headquarters, Services of Supply, United States Forces in China Theater; APO 627

3. In compliance with General Orders (GO) #188, this Headquarters cs, the following persons are relieved from

present duty assignment and assigned to Headquarters Services of Supply (SOS 6T), duty as indicted. 

What does “cs” stand for?  What does Service of Supply 6T indicate?

I don’t know what these orders are.  What is the duty indicated?  Does (060) provide a clue? 

The orders are from AOP 627 which is Kunming, China.  Are these orders for Lee to go from Kunming to Nanking, China?  The date might imply this since I know he spent most of his time at Kunming and his next order on 6 Feb 1946 is promotion to sergeant in Nanking APO 909.

Can anyone help?

Robert Stallard Wayfarer

And now one last question and order:

9 Apr 1946 Assigned to return to the US?

Issued by Headquarters, Nanking Headquarters Command, United States Forces, China Theater; APO 909

2.   Following named enlisted man is relieved for assignment to and duty with the Nanking Headquarters Command, Nanking, China and is attached unassigned to Headquarters United States Forces China Theater for further dispatch.  Effective date concerning Morning Report: 12 April 1946.

Travel by rail, air and/or any other means of travel is authorized?. ___________

__________________.  No travel per diem (by the day) _____________ authorized?

ASRS = Adjusted Service Rating Score

Can anyone fill in the blanks?  Are these orders to return to the US? 

Lee was in the 124th Cavalry.  In Lee’s case he traveled from Nanking to Shanghai and left from there by ship to San Francisco, possibly on the USS General R. M. Blatchford (AP-153) arriving 7 May 1946.  He was honorably discharged from the Army 13 May.

The place of departure from China is not mentioned in the orders.  Is an enlisted man to find his own transport to the place of departure (Shanghai)? 

Lisa Sharik Scout

I can't help with the document but, I did not realize he was one of our soldiers. The 124th RCT was deactivated on July 1, 1945 and its troops largely  dispersed to other units/commands. I have letters from a soldier with F Troop who is in China till December 1945, his return date keeps getting pushed back repeatedly and he was very unhappy. 

Here are a couple of Signal Corps pictures of the 124th in the CBI:

124th RCT 4.2 Inch mortars124th 2nd SQ Burma 1945

Lisa Sharik

Elliot Schneider Ranger

Robert,

When looking at my military travel orders from 20 years ago not much has changed. Permanent Change of Station (PCS) means move. Travel Directed is Necessary (TDN).

Lowell Silverman Adventurer

"Can anyone fill in the blanks?  Are these orders to return to the US? "

It doesn't look like it.  He was released from his assignment and attached to the HQ USF CT.  I imagine there were another set of orders sending him to the United States, but those documents are not in the file you have.

"Is an enlisted man to find his own transport to the place of departure (Shanghai)? "

I'm not sure the exact process by which travel was arranged, but that is standard wording, very similar in documents of that era.  The only variations seem to be whether air transport was authorized and whether a per diem was provided.