4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2021 10:57 AM by Claudia Boothe

    Looking for a film about "Command Schools in the European Theater"

    Claudia Boothe Wayfarer

      Hi all.  Looking for a Post WWII film about "Command Schools in the European Theater." I stumbled across this newspaper clipping a little over a year ago, while researching something unrelated.  Of course I have been trying to find this film ever since! 


      I traveled to the Washing D. C. National Archives and the Library of Congress, looking for this film.  The librarians and researchers could not find the film anywhere, despite their best efforts.  I have since been searching on the internet, also to no avail. 


      Does anyone have any thoughts on where it may be, if it still exists?  My dad has been gone a while.  I have two active duty kids who never met him.  It would be a neat Christmas present to be able to give them a video copy of their grandpa in uniform.  : )  Any help is appreciated!  Thanks!


        • Re: Looking for a film about "Command Schools in the European Theater"
          Rachael Salyer Tracker

          Dear Ms. Boothe,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          If you have not done so already, we suggest that you contact the National Archives at College Park - Motion Pictures (RDSM) at mopix@nara.gov. Please include as much information about the film as possible when you submit your inquiry.


          In order to locate a copy of the film--if it still exists--you may need to expand your search to include other information available about it. For example, since the newspaper article notes that the film was created by the Information and Education Division, you may wish to review the descriptions of these 28 series related to the "Information and Education Division" in the 1940s in the Catalog. They may provide some relevant information about the film you are looking for and/or about your father’s role in its production. Most of these records have not been digitized. You may contact the National Archives reference unit listed in each description for assistance with those records.


          We also located 11 series related to Weihenstephan and the Weihenstephan Agricultural School in the Records of the U.S. Occupation Headquarters, World War II (Record Group 260) that may provide some helpful information. Record Group 260 also includes the series Records of the Director's Office Relating to Educational Films, 1945-1947 and the series Correspondence, Memorandums, and Lists Relating to Educational Films, 1948-1949 that may be of interest to you. Some of these records have been digitized and can be viewed in the Catalog, but most have not been digitized. Please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at archives2reference@nara.gov for access to and information about these and similar records.


          Finally, if you have not done so already, we suggest that you request a copy of your father’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDSM, RDT2, or other NARA reference unit. Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          We hope this information is helpful, and best of luck with your family research!


          1 person found this helpful