2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2021 10:39 AM by Alex Champion

Seeking records of 3rd Chemical Mortar Battalion

Vincent Marzullo Newbie

Hello, I'm looking for the records of the 3rd Chemical Mortar Battalion for October and November of 1944.  Thanks.

• Re: Seeking records of 3rd Chemical Mortar Battalion
          Tracy Skrabut Adventurer

Dear Vincent,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

A search of our catalog returned seven file units related to the 3rd Chemical Battalion, which comprise unit histories, after actions reports, and command reports.

I am including a link to the search results here:

https://catalog.archives.gov/search?q=3rd%20chemical%20battalion&f.ancestorNaIds=895216

While none of these records are digitized online, I would advise reaching out to our Textual Reference division at Collège Park, where these records are housed. They may be able to assist you in locating the particular time period of records you are looking for. You may email them at: mailto:Archives2reference@nara.gov

I hope this is helpful in your research!

• Re: Seeking records of 3rd Chemical Mortar Battalion
            Alex Champion Scout

Hello Mr. Marzullo, and thank you for submitting your request to History Hub!

We suggest you read this History Hub blog concerning military unit records research at the National Archives and Records Administration. It provides guidance on what kinds of records are frequently available, such as Unit Histories and Operations Reports. For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at archives2reference@nara.gov.

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Photographs of American Military Activities, ca. 1918 - ca. 1981 in the Records of the Office of the Chief Signal Officer (Record Group 111) and located a photograph of the 3rd Chemical Mortar Battalion outside Bitburg, Germany. This series, or other series and Record Groups, may include additional photographs not available remotely. For more information about relevant photographs, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Still Picture (RDSS) via email at stillpix@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2 and RDSS. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

Thank you again for submitting your request to History Hub.