1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 24, 2021 12:01 PM by Rachael Salyer

Seeking Unit Rosters for 1st US Artillery, Co. D

Charles Webster Newbie

I'm looking to find individual rosters for Co. D, 1st US Artillery for Nov 1860 thru May 1861. I found the following records in RG 391.2.1 Records of the 1st-7th Artillery Regiments. Would anybody be aware of the contents of this record group and be able to tell me if company rosters are extant? If not in this RG, can someone suggest another area to find these rosters, or am I looking for something that simply does not exist?

I also found in Record Group 393: Records of U.S. Army Continental Commands, 1817 - 1947, a series for War Department. Baton Rouge Barracks, Louisiana. 1824-8/22/1884, Organization Authority Records.  I have looked at the Post Returns for Baton Rouge Barracks but those returns generally list commissioned officers and "Enlisted Men Casually at the Post"  on special duty, in confinement, etc. The rest of the Return only provides numbers of those present or absent and any changes to the numbers from the previous month. I know the barracks and arsenal were surrendered in Jan 1861 to Louisiana authorities (militia). I'm looking to find out who was there for that event and who left the post or stayed behind when the garrison moved out. Alternatively, I did locate the 1860 US Census list for the unit then stationed at the Baton Rouge Barracks and Arsenal. This list is a good place to start but as we all know six months is a long time and many changes can and did occur in that time.  I appreciate any suggestions.

Charlie Webster

• Re: Seeking Unit Rosters for 1st US Artillery, Co. D
          Rachael Salyer Tracker

Dear Mr. Webster,

Thank you for posting your request to History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located 15 series of records related to the 1st Artillery Regiment in the 1860s that may contain some relevant information. These series are part of the Records of U.S. Regular Army Mobile Units (Record Group 391), and they have not been digitized. For access to and information about these and similar records, please contact the National Archives at Washington, D.C. - Textual Reference (RDT1) at archives1reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this information is helpful, and best of luck with your research!