1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 23, 2021 11:56 AM by Eric Kilgore

Abram Colby of Penfield, Ga - Reconstruction Era

Tara Coile Newbie

I am a native to Greene County, Ga and have recently learned of many, many things no one taught us in my 39 yrs of both life and education here. Mr. Abram Colby was our first African American Rep, part of the original 33, during reconstruction. Well of course, hell and high water, eventually when he wouldn't take bribes, the klan went after him. He lived to tell the story, miraculously, and testifies in 1871 against them. No one here ever mentioned his name here. He disappeared after fleeing to Atlanta with Monday Floyd out of Morgan, Co. Ga. I know his son continued on his work for a while. I want to find out where/what happened to his line. I am trying to find out where he is buried. I am trying to find out all I can so I can educate others about him and that time period. I do educational programming at my library and this is the perfect place, time to start showing the parts of history that have been whitewashed out.  If anyone has any information, as I don't know if he didn't want to be found after all he went through, or if something worse happened. Someone, somewhere, has to know something. My goal is to honor the man, regardless of what I find, and all those others that fought bravely for their rights against terrorism in this county.

Tara

• Re: Abram Colby of Penfield, Ga - Reconstruction Era
          Eric Kilgore Adventurer

Dear Tara Coile,

Thank you for posting your question on History Hub!

The Federal Government does not ordinarily create or maintain birth, adoption, death, marriage or divorce records. Such records are made and kept by State and local governments rather than the National Archives. We suggest searching substitute record sources such as probate records, church records, and newspaper records that may uncover more information about Abram Colby. Unfortunately,  There's not much in the record following his testimony to Congress. 

If you haven't done so already, I would check out Ancestry.com, which is a subscription-based service, but through partnerships with archives and libraries, offers free access at some locations.  Using our access, I was able to locate a family tree with an Abram Colby that matches some of the data when know about Abram's age, and residence.  Here are some screenshots of a public family tree containing some helpful information.

Also, be aware that misspellings were/are common on hand-written documents such as  Census records.  I believe in the 1870 Census, Abram is recorded as "Abraham."  The Census records are also available on Familysearch.org which offers free memberships and access. 

We hope this information is helpful.  Best of luck on your research!