2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2021 11:32 AM by Lauren Algee

Reviewing Newspaper Articles

Henry Rosenberg Navigator

My suggestion to reviewing long newspaper articles, is to scan the page and make sure the page was completely transcribed. Frankly, as long as it is completely transcribed, minor typos should not stop us from accepting the pages. To be honest, I cannot get through reading those pages without my eyes going buggy and I have seen pages in Mary Church Terrell languish for months because people are not willing to review them. So, assuming the moderators agree, just make sure all was transcribed and let's get these pages to the people.

Henry

• Re: Reviewing Newspaper Articles
          Lauren Algee Scout

Hi Henry,

This approach makes perfect sense considering the scale and challenge of reviewing newspapers and other dense typed pages. It's always best to focus effort on significant errors likely to impact search, such as the names of places, people or organizations, or key terms that you think someone might look for. A typo like "teh" for "the" is unlikely to have a big effect on future readers or researchers.

We might have to make "Let's get these pages to the people!" the official BTP motto!

Lauren

• Re: Reviewing Newspaper Articles
              Henry Rosenberg Navigator

Hi Lauren-

If you put it on a T shirt, I want a free one!

Also, I just wanted to let you know, I am going through the Mary Church Terrell pages because I realized that nobody was doing them. I have about 200 left to go and put some that were not completed back "in progress". I am unlikely to do them since it is not the type of work I prefer to do. And I noticed Anna Dickinson is going very slowly. I finished that project 3 months ago. There are only a few hundred pages left so if we can get those done, it would be ready to publish. These are pages I worked on so cannot accept.

Take care and stay well,

Henry