1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 22, 2021 4:56 PM by Jason Atkinson

    Establishing where Dad was stationed in Korea 1951 to 1953

    David Haynie Newbie

      My dad was in Korea sometime between August 1951 and January 1953.  We received his DD-214 back in the 1990s and it does not say when or where he went in Korea, is this information available elsewhere?  The only evidence of his being in Korea in the DD-214 is his receiving the Victory Medal, and Dr's hand written notes when he is treated for jungle rot and malaria after being back in the states. Thanks

        • Re: Establishing where Dad was stationed in Korea 1951 to 1953
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

          Dear Mr. Haynie,

          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          While you indicated that you already received his DD-214, we suggest that you request a copy of his full Official Military Personnel File (OMPF).  His full OMPF may contain orders assigning him to units that were deployed to Korea or additional information about his service in Korea. OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status.


          We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.