1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 21, 2021 12:13 PM by Rachael Salyer

    where to find civil service records during world war II

    Margaret Heller Newbie

      My grandfather worked for the civil service in San Diego during WWII and I am looking for his records.

        • Re: where to find civil service records during world war II
          Rachael Salyer Navigator

          Dear Ms. Heller,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you request a copy of your grandfather's Official Personnel File (OPF). OPFs and medical information for individuals who worked for the U.S. government in a civilian capacity before 1952 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). Please email RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov and  include the full name used during Federal employment, date of birth, Social Security Number (if applicable), name and location of the employing Federal agency, beginning and ending dates of Federal Service. For more information, please check the Official Personnel Folders (OPF), Archival Holdings and Access website.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RL-SL. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          We hope this information is helpful, and best of luck with your family research!