1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 23, 2021 9:44 AM by Jesse Wilinski

    Seeking service record of John Wallace

    mallard benton Newbie

      I am seeking the service records of my great grandfather, John Wallace, former slave from Gates County, NC. He served in the 2nd United States  Colored Infantry Regiment (1863? - 1865).  Later went on to be a Reconstruction era State Representative from Florida.

        • Re: Seeking service record of John Wallace
          Jesse Wilinski Adventurer

          Dear Mr. Benton,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We have found John Wallace’s Compiled Military Service Record (CMSR) on Fold3 but not on the National Archives Catalog. You may be able to access Fold3 for free at your local library. We also found that John Wallace received a Civil War Pension and we have attached the index card to his post. You can request John Wallace’s Pension online at: https://eservices.archives.gov/orderonline/. Please be mindful that the Trust Fund has temporarily suspended online requests. Please check back from time to time.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!