1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 15, 2021 11:43 AM by Alicia Gabriel

Seeking information and parents of Peter Caspar Kohlhepp (Collep, Colhep, Cullop, etc.)

John Warner Newbie

My fourth great grandfather is Peter Caspar Kohlhepp, born in 1730 in Kaiserslautern, Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany.   In 1750, he sailed from Rotterdam, The Netherlands, bound for England on the ship Edinburg.  From there, he sailed to America.  He arrived in Philadelphia, PA on August 13, 1750.  He lived in the Lancaster, PA (British Colonial America) area for a while, and married Maria Katharina Branstetter there in 1760.  Maria was born in Pirmasens, Bavaria, Germany in 1734.  I know they moved to North Carolina for a while before settling in SW Virginia.  They had at least one son, Adam Cullop, born in North Carolina in 1783, and died in Smyth County, VA in 1861.  Peter died on December 11, 1791 in Wythe County, VA, but the burial details are unknown.  Maria died on August 17, 1796 in Wythe County, VA.  Her family history includes 400-500 years of dynastic nobility, including Electors in the Holy Roman Empire.  I do not know whether Peter and Maria met in Germany or in Pennsylvania.  Thank you for your help in bringing  some clarity to this story.

-John Warner