1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 14, 2021 12:55 PM by Marie Maxwell

Seeking solider in Captain Thomas Clark's Artillery Co

Emy Peasha Newbie

To begin research, can I assume that the soldier I am looking for resided in the general area as the Captain of his company? Specifically, the soldier whose residence I am looking for fought with Captain Thomas Clark's Artillery Co. from New Jersey during the Revolutionary War. I think Thomas Clark resided in Elizabethtown, NJ.

• Re: Seeking solider in Captain Thomas Clark's Artillery Co
          Marie Maxwell Adventurer

Dear Emy Peasha,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

The best place for you to start your search is on the National Archives website’s page, “The American Revolution.” There you can find the various kinds of records where a soldier’s name might appear, as well as the different databases and search engines you can use to look up their names. There are links to the National Archives catalog as well as Ancestry, Family Search, and Fold3. Try different sites to see which of their search functions are easiest for you to use. Several public library systems have made Ancestry available, check with your local library.

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Indexes to Revolutionary War Compiled Military Service Records in the War Department Collection of Revolutionary War Records, 1894 - ca. 1912 (Record Group 93, NAID 572371) that may include the name of the soldier or Thomas Clark. The Index cards have not been digitized for the Catalog.

You may want to look for pension records because they may include information regarding where they or their families lived. Case Files of Pension and Bounty-Land Warrant Applications Based on Revolutionary War Service in the Records of the Department of Veterans Affairs (Record Group 15) that includes a case file for [name of soldier]. These records have been digitized and are available using the Catalog.

For more information about these records, please email the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) at archives1reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1.

We wish you all the best with your research!