2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2021 12:47 PM by Lori Norris

Where can I get a copy of a Marriage Certificate?

Edward Foreman Newbie

Anton Urban & Mary Picka Marr. 31 May 1911. Married in Washington DC

• Re: Where can I get a copy of a Marriage Certificate?
          Lori Norris Wayfarer

Dear Edward Foreman,

Thank you for posting your request to History Hub!

The Federal Government does not ordinarily create or maintain birth, death, marriage, or divorce records.  Such records are made and kept by State and local governments rather than the National Archives.  In order to obtain a physical copy of the marriage certificate for Anton Urban and Mary Picka, please contact the DC Courts in order to request a copy for a fee.  Washington DC marriage certificates from 1870-1920 can also be found at the District of Columbia Archives.

In addition, we searched the online genealogy databases Ancestry and Family Search to see if a copy of the record was available digitally.  Unfortunately, we did not find an image of the document but did find entries that provided information about and on the document in question.  If you are interested in this information, please visit either Ancestry.com or FamilySearch.org to continue your search.  There may be a fee using the Ancestry service, but Family Search is available for free with the creation of an account.  Ancestry may be accessed for free through a NARA facility or through any participating universities or public libraries.

As a public health precaution due to COVID-19, all National Archives research rooms nationwide, including those at Presidential Libraries, are closed to the public until further notice. Please check NARA’s web page about COVID-19 updates for the latest information. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

• Re: Where can I get a copy of a Marriage Certificate?
            Alice Lane Pioneer

Hi Edward,

Welcome to History Hub

Go to the following web page.

How to get a copy of a DC marriage certificate

Marriage Matters | District of Columbia Courts (dccourts.gov)

I found a family tree of your family on familysearch.org

Anton Joseph Urban Jr. (1889–1927) | Person | Family Tree | FamilySearch

It is a free website you just need to register to  use.

The family tree was created by Jonny Nguyen, I thought you might want to collaborate with him.

Alice Lane

Research Volunteer