10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2016 2:39 PM by Cara Moore

CSC Records 1944-1960

Wayfarer

Where can I find more information on orders, assignments, temporary field duties, travel, and photographs regarding Federal Civil Service Commission employees of specific persons 1944-1960? This is for my father who worked as a Federal CSC employee, but at Signal Corps, Ordnance, Army, Air Force, and government-contracted locations.

• Re: CSC Records 1944-1960
          Alan Walker Scout

Hi Arrenda,

First off, have you requested a copy of your father's Official Personnel File (OPF)?

This may contain much of the information you're asking about. Click on the link below for more information:

Official Personnel Folders (OPF),Federal (non-archival) Holdings and Access

There are several series of Civil Service Commission photographs at our College Park, MD facility

in Record Group 146, but specific employees are rarely identified in them.

Here is a listing from the National Archives Catalog of various series of CSC records in our holdings:

https://catalog.archives.gov/search?q=*:*&f.parentNaId=475&f.level=series&sort=naIdSort%20asc

Hope this helps!

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            Rebecca Collier Scout

If you haven't already done so, we suggest contacting the National Personnel Records Center. There are two separate addresses depending on the time period needed:

Official Personnel Files (OPFs) and medical information for individuals who worked for the U.S. government in a civilian capacity prior to 1952 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis, P.O. Box 38757, St. Louis, MO 63138. Please include full name used during Federal employment, date of birth, Social Security Number (if applicable), name and location of employing Federal agency, beginning and ending dates of Federal Service. For more information, the web site is http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/archival-programs/civilian-personnel-archival/index.html.

Official Personnel Files (OPFs) and medical information for individuals who worked for the U.S. government in a civilian capacity since 1952 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center. Written requests may be mailed or faxed to National Personnel Records Center Annex, 1411 Boulder Boulevard, Valmeyer, IL 62295. The fax number is 618-935-3014. Please include full name used during Federal employment, date of birth, Social Security Number (if applicable), name and location of employing Federal agency, and beginning and ending dates of Federal service. Certain information in the OPF may not be available to the general public without the written consent of the individual. For more information, please check their web site at http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/civilian-personnel/index.html.

Cara Moore Adventurer

Hi Ann,

You can send an email with your father's biographic information (full name, date of birth, location of work, federal agency for which he worked and any other identifying information) to st.archives@nara.gov and we will perform a search. If he worked into the 1960s then his record will be non archival and the request will be processed by our Valmeyer, IL Annex but we at NARA St Louis will perform the search first. Thanks!

Cara Moore

Archives Technician

Wayfarer

Thank you to all who have responded thus far. I know that the OPM file has been requested multiple times over the course of 9 years, but it only comes as the 201 file, which is military.  I've been told this is his complete file, but this just doesn't seem right.  I am emailing as Cara Moore suggested so that a search can be performed again and I can be more distinctive about the difference between the two types of files. I just want to confirm that the OPM file is NOT his 201 file, correct? They wouldn't be intermingled--right? One is military, one is civilian.

Could there be any inhibition to retrieving the file since he resigned in 1960 (after 1952)? I know there have been requests including FOIA and my father is deceased...I'm just not sure whether I am hitting brick walls?

Rebecca Collier Scout

Arrenda--

The OPF (Official Personnel File) should be different than his OMPF (Official Military Personnel File, sometimes called a 201 file). Since he resigned in 1960, his OPF will be still in the agency's legal custody but can be access by the employees of the NPRC. When you requested his OPF before, did you use a GSA Form 180? If so, that form should only be used for requesting OMPFs and may explain why you kept getting his "201 File" instead of his Civilian OPF.

Becky

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        Cara Moore Adventurer

Arrenda/Becky,

The OPFs (civilian federal employee folders) also can contain 201 files. A

201 is just information relating to an individual's information rather than

a project. I received Arrenda's email and will start searching for the OPF

today and will respond privately to her for the remainder of the search.

Thank you!!

Cara

3 of 3 people found this helpful