6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2021 2:37 PM by Shelly Dudley

What military records are available for Georgia Confederate soldier (Chapel Pinkney Dudley)?

Shelly Dudley Wayfarer

In "Roster of Confederate Soldiers of Georgia 1861-1865" edited by Lillian Henderson indicated that Chappell P. Dudley last appeared on file in April 1, 1864.  I found on Fold3 under the Unfiled Papers and Slips Belonging in Confederate Compiled Service Records another card for him in June 1, 1864.  The 37th Georgia was eventually merged into the 54th GA that was at the surrender at Bentonville.  Is there anyway to tell if he was there or decided to go to his home in Elbert County, Georgia after the Atlanta Campaign?

• Re: What military records are available for Georgia Confederate soldier (Chapel Pinkney Dudley)?
          James Huntoon Wayfarer

Dear Shelly Dudley:

Thank you for posting on History Hub!

I searched the George State Archives collection for Confederate Pension Applications but did not see a Chapel Pinkney Dudley.

This National Archives webpage on Civil War Records: Basic Research Sources, may help in your research and does mention that some records relating to Confederate soldiers did not survive the war.

• Re: What military records are available for Georgia Confederate soldier (Chapel Pinkney Dudley)?
            Elliot Schneider Ranger

Shelly.

Here is some information below. These are records of hid service before and after transfer.

Name:Chappell P Dudley
            Enlistment Date:4 Mar 1862
            Enlistment Rank:Private
            Muster Date:4 Mar 1862
            Muster Place:Georgia
            Muster Company:D
            Muster Regiment:9th Battn Infantry
            Muster Regiment Type:Infantry
            Muster Information:Enlisted
            Muster Out Date:6 May 1863
            Muster Out Information:Transferred
            Side of War:Confederacy
            Survived War?:Yes
            Residence Place:Elbert County, Georgia
            Additional Notes 2:Muster 2 Date: 06 May 1863; Muster 2 Place: Georgia; Muster 2 Unit: 386; Muster 2 Company: G; Muster 2 Regiment: 37th Infantry; Muster 2 Regiment Type: Infantry; Muster 2 Information: Transferred;
            Title:Roster of Confederate Soldiers of Georgia 1861-1865

1 person found this helpful
                Shelly Dudley Wayfarer

Elliot

Thank you for finding that information.  I would really like to know if Chapel Dudley was at the surrender at Bentonville. I can't find any recording saying he was there or if he left the CSA prior to the summer of 1864.

Shelly

Elliot Schneider Ranger

Shelly,

The 37th GA Regiment was organized during the spring of 1863 by consolidating the 3rd and 9th Georgia Infantry Battalions. Many of its members were from Murray, Jackson, Franklin, Elbert, and Hall counties.

37th Infantry Regiment was organized during the spring of 1863 by consolidating the 3rd and 9th Georgia Infantry Battalions. Many of its members were from Murray, Jackson, Franklin, Elbert, and Hall counties. The unit was assigned to General Bate's, Tyler's, and J.A. Smith's Brigade, Army of Tennessee. It fought with the army from Chickamauga to Atlanta, endured Hood's winter campaign, and was active in North Carolina. The 37th lost fifty percent of the 391 engaged at Chickamauga and in December, 1863, totalled 416 men and 265 arms. Few surrendered on April 26, 1865. The field officers were Colonel A.F. Rudler; Lieutenant Colonel Joseph T. Smith; and Majors Jesse J. Bradford, Meredith Kendrick, and R.E. Wilson.

Here is a bit on the 54th GA:

54th Infantry Regiment, organized at Savannah, Georgia, during the summer of 1862, contained men recruited in the counties of Lamar, Appling, Harris, Muscogee, Bartow, Chatham, and Barrow. The unit moved to the Charleston area and was involved in numerous conflicts including the fight at Battery Wagner. Later it was assigned to Mercer's and J.A. Smith's Brigade, Army of Tennessee. The 54th participated in the Atlanta Campaign, Hood's Tennessee operations, and the Battle of Bentonville. During the Atlanta Campaign, July 20 to September 1, it reported 93 casualties and in December, 1864, totalled 168 effectives. The regiment surrendered on April 26, 1865. Colonel Charlton H. Way, Lieutenant Colonel Morgan Rawls, and Major William H. Mann were in command.

Shelly Dudley Wayfarer

Elliot,

Thanks for that information.  In my research, I found one of the men from the 37th transferred to the 54th and was listed on his muster card that he surrendered at Bentonville.  I can't locate Chapel Pinkney Dudley on anything past June, 1864.  I don't know how the records were maintained both during and after the war.  It seems that those muster cards were created from other files.  Could the files on Dudley have been lost?  Also, another historian said he actually saw the original records and they were in terrible shape - also not all the information, including verso of the card, was not copied.  We are just trying to track down his final months during the Civil War.

We also have another question - Chapel P Dudley was a teamster in both the 9th and 37th GA; several other Dudleys were teamsters in other companies, but within the same regiments.  Was there a teamster for each company, how were they chosen, etc.  I guess that is a question for another day.

Thanks for your time   Shelly Dudley