9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2021 11:05 AM by Josette Schluter

Seeking Ohio 102nd Infantry Civil War Pension files

natalie lovins Wayfarer

Hi, I'm looking for pensions for the 102nd O. V. I., is there a way to find them online? I need to see who applied for a pension, not just where one was granted. I've already looked on Fold3.com and I would like the entire pension file.

• Re: Seeking Ohio 102nd Infantry Civil War Pension files
          Elliot Schneider Ranger

Ms. Lovins,

Can you please provide me with a name or any additional information on the individual of the 102nd Ohio you are seeking. Is this also part of your ongoing research for Cahaba Prison?

• Re: Seeking Ohio 102nd Infantry Civil War Pension files
            Josette Schluter Adventurer

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub.

The majority of Civil War pension files in the Records of the Department of Veterans Affairs (Record Group 15) are in the custody of the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1). To request a search and order copies of military pension application files based on Federal (not State or Confederate) service during the Civil War, please complete a NATF Form 85 and mail it to  Archival Operations Washington D.C., Form 85 – Pension, National Archives and Records Administration, 700 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20408-0001.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope that this information was helpful.