5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2021 10:50 AM by Josette Schluter

Searching for my grandpa

Martin Jacker Newbie

Hello supporters. Searching for my grandpa. He was serving in the 10th Special Forces Group WW2 in Germany, Bavaria and Bad Toelz in 1952. I don't know his name. I just have that picture...Hope anyone can help me out.

Thanks

Martin

Grandpa 10th Special Forces

• Re: Searching for my grandpa
          Diane Carter Newbie

Martin, Was he on your maternal or paternal side? If you give me name of your parent who is his child, I can check via Ancestry.com, even newspaper articles. Do you have a birth or death date for him? Any other information like that could help. 

Diane R. Carter

Martin Jacker Newbie

Hi Diana,

thank you so much for your Message.

The whole Story...

My Grandmother died very young after the birth of my mother. My mother (Birthday 1957) never knew the name of her father. He was a soldier after WW2 and left Bad Tölz without letting my mom know his name or other information. We just have that picture.

My mom did a DNA test to find out more - no results until now.

We hope to find out more with his picture. It is hard for us don´t knowing our root.

Thank you for your help.

Best wishes from Bavaria :-)

Martin

Correction: My Grandpa was in Bavaria from 1955/1956 to 1957/1958.

Elliot Schneider Ranger

Martin,

Please give as much information pertains to your mother... name, DOB, and place of birth. Looks like according to the dates that he was in the service after the Korean War and shortly before the Cold War. Did your mother meet the individual in the picture at an USO or service members club on base. You mentioned he left your mother without telling her. Was this a marriage if so they may have record of a marriage if it was done on base, and if they had a child together then you can try looking at birth certificates or hospital records if born on base.

Josette Schluter Tracker

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub.

Questions concerning a former member of the U.S. Armed Forces who may be the father of a child born during or around the time of World War II should be sent to the NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Please mark the envelope and the letter "War Baby." Please be sure to include a copy of the photograph you have as it will help in the identification process. As well as any information you have about the unit he served with.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from [insert unit]. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope that this information was helpful.

Lisa Sharik Scout

Mr. Jacker:

From the Wikipedia page for the 10th Special Forces: " In September 1953, 782 members of the Group deployed to Germany and established the Group headquarters at Lengries in Bavaria."

The National Archives should have Morning Reports for the unit for the time period you are interested in 1955-1958. That would give you the names of the soldiers of the unit who were in Bavaria. While it is a large number of names, if you had your DNA done and had access to your more distant matches maybe you could find a recurring last name which matched the last name of one of the deployed soldiers.

Good Luck with your search.

Respectfully,

Lisa Sharik