2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2021 12:07 PM by Josette Schluter

Seeking cause of death for Civil War Veteran John Delany

Janis Taberna Newbie

Seeking cause of death of a Civil War veteran after he was discharged in 1865. He died August 24,1873 at 32 years of age.

Civil war headstone was placed in 11/29/1879 in Hillsville Pa. I want to know if any military records would show his cause of death, maybe in a request for the headstone. His name was John Delany, a Private in the 53rd Ohio Infantry, Company C.

I found quite a bit of information on my ancestry.com page and have been searching newspapers.com for any obituary or information on cause of death but I find nothing. Where can I search in government sites that may have a cause of death? Thank you

• Re: Seeking cause of death for Civil War Veteran John Delany
          Elliot Schneider Ranger

Janis,

Here is some information. Please also see where he is buried and I see you have been active on findagrave.com so you know about this.https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/158113793/john-a.-delany

Might want to check with either Ohio or Pennsylvania state death records as well.

Name:John A Delaney
          Enlistment Age:21
          Birth Date:abt 1840
          Enlistment Date:4 Oct 1861
          Enlistment Rank:Private
          Muster Date:4 Oct 1861
          Muster Place:Ohio
          Muster Company:C
          Muster Regiment:53rd Infantry
          Muster Regiment Type:Infantry
          Muster Information:Enlisted
          Muster Out Date:11 Aug 1865
          Muster Out Place:Little Rock, Arkansas
          Muster Out Information:Mustered Out
          Side of War:Union
          Survived War?:Yes
          Title:Official Roster of the Soldiers of the State of Ohio
          1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking cause of death for Civil War Veteran John Delany
            Josette Schluter Adventurer

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub.

T288, General Index to Pension Files, 1861-1934 (544 rolls) which is also available online at Ancestry.com (for a fee), is a NARA microfilm publication that indexes the pension files, which may be helpful. The pension file will often contain more information about what the soldier did during the war than the CMSR, and it may contain much medical information if he lived for a number of years afterwards. If you have questions about these records you can email the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) at archives1reference@nara.gov.

Additionally vital records (such birth, marriage, and death records) are usually located with the state that the person resided in, and were not maintained by the Federal Government. The CDC’s National Center for Health Statistics website has links for where to find vital records from state and territorial agencies:   https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/w2w/index.htm .  The State of Ohio began recording deaths formally in 1867 however Pennsylvania did not until 1906. You may have luck looking at website like Ancestry.com (has fees) and FamilySearch which have indexes available for Pennsylvania and may be helpful.

Links on FamilySearch: Pennsylvania Mortality Schedules, 1850-1880 , and Pennsylvania, Historical Society of Pennsylvania, Deaths and Burials, 1856- 1971,

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope that this information was helpful.