2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2021 9:39 PM by Elliot Schneider

Union vs. Confederacy

Lisa Fowler Newbie

Hello, I am trying to find out why my husband's 3rd great grandfather, Colonel William Washington Dulany 1800-1868, of the USMC served for the Union instead of the Confederacy. Family folklore says that he caused his portion of the family and descendants to be disowned because of his choice. I understand the DuLany's were very prominent in Maryland, and had tobacco farms. Is there any way to determine his reason for fighting for one side versus the other? What was Maryland like during that time period? Were most people for or against the Union? I'm wanting to try to see what might have been going thru his mind at the time when he made his choice.

Thank you for your time,

Lisa Fowler

• Re: Union vs. Confederacy
          Tracy Skrabut Adventurer

Dear Lisa,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub.

In regards to Maryland, recall that Maryland, although a slave state, did not secede from the Union, and more of its men served for the Union than, in most cases, traveled across the Potomac River into Virginia to join the Confederate forces. In most general terms, the deciding factor often seemed to be whether the soldier supported slavery or was against it. However, it is not really possibly to determine why he might have chosen to serve in the Union. He may have had convictions which predisposed him to serving in the Union, or he may simply have seen it as an opportunity for income. The reason for serve is not recorded in the service record. You may wish to research inline, especially looking at the area in which he lived. There may exist historical societies which could assist you in learning more about the particular ideas and feelings of the general population of the time.

I have located a useful list for genealogy research which you might find helpful in researching the gentleman himself.

Maryland in the Civil War

https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Maryland_in_the_Civil_War

I hope this is helpful in your research!

• Re: Union vs. Confederacy
            Elliot Schneider Ranger

Lisa,

Here is some additional information below. Here is where he is buried. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/111763122/william-dulany

Plus his pension record

Larger memorial image loading...

1 person found this helpful