1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 7, 2021 11:11 AM by Carey Stumm

    Seeking Navy Deck Logs of 3 ships

    Anne Kuppinger Newbie

      My father served in the Korean War.  He has been recounting two stories and would like to track down more information from (hopefully) Captain's Deck logs.  Are these available?  The ships he was on were the USS Valley Force, USS Tanner, and USS Maury.  In one event, in the Caribbean, the helicopter he was in crashed and he was saved by a quick acting pilot as the helicopter sank.  He'd really like to know that pilot's name.  In the other even, he required an appendectomy while in the Artic.  Neither of the medical specialist on board has done an appendectomy, but with a text book (and a very large scar), they managed.  He recalls his ship (which was engaged in some sort of training exercise) having to divert to calmer seas which caused no small amount of disruption to the exercises.   At any rate, is there a way, I could track down records from these ships and are they searchable?

        • Re: Seeking Navy Deck Logs of 3 ships
          Carey Stumm Adventurer

          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Logbooks of U.S. Navy Ships and Stations, 1941 - 1983 in the Records of the Bureau of Naval Personnel (Record Group 24) that include the deck logs of most US Navy ships from the Korean War era (1950-1953). The bulk of the deck logs that have been digitized are from the Vietnam War era (1956-1978) or World War II (1941-1945), however there are a small number of deck logs from the Korean War years that have been digitized. To check for the digital availability of logs for specific ships, see the list Navy Deck Logs Available in the National Archives Catalog. If the logs you seek are not on that list, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov to inquire as to whether they have logs of specific ships for specific years. RDT2 also may be able to suggest additional records that could be useful for your research.


          If you have not already done so, we suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and medical records of enlisted men of the U.S. Navy who were separated from the service after 1885 and prior to 1958 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC.  Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. Also, the NPRC is currently only servicing emergency requests associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans, VA Home loan guarantees, and employment opportunities. If this is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. We apologize for any inconvenience.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!