4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2021 8:18 PM by KEITH MOORMAN

Seeking information on an inmate in Louisville, KY jail

KEITH MOORMAN Wayfarer

I am seeking information on an inmate in 1930 of the Louisville, KY jail.  I have the census list from that year identifying him, although I don't know if it's the same person.  Ancestry.com also provides information on a similar name in the Leavenworth, KS federal prison the same year.  I'd like to know how to research the archives of both systems.

• Re: Seeking information on an inmate in Louisville, KY jail
          Charleen Vocca Scout

Dear Mr. Moorman,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Inmate Case Files, 7/3/1895 - 11/5/1957 of the U.S. Penitentiary, Leavenworth in the Records of the Bureau of Prisons (Record Group 129) that may include a file for the person you seek. These records have been digitized and are available using the Catalog. If you are unable to locate the person you seek, please contact the National Archives at Kansas City (RM-KC) at kansascity.archives@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RM-KC. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We also suggest that you contact the Records Management & Archives of the City of Louisville to conduct a search of the archives for the inmate records you seek.

We hope this is helpful.  Best of luck in your research!

KEITH MOORMAN Wayfarer

Thanks, that is very helpful.  Inmate Case Files is where I started and where I got lost.  I don't know how to search the 1000s of pages, other than scrolling through.  I tried EVERYTHING but I must be missing something.  How do you search for a file when they are in no particular order and when there's no search field? 

thanks again

Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Mr. Moorman,

Thank you for posting your follow-up request on History Hub!

To search the series titled Inmate Case Files, 7/3/1895 - 11/5/1957 of the U.S. Penitentiary, Leavenworth in the Records of the Bureau of Prisons (Record Group 129), please click on the series title above. In the Details area of the page, look for the blue button titled ”Search within this Series" and click on it.  This will take you to a search box so you can search through the file units listed. Type in the name of the inmate in quotes and click on the Search button. The results page may provide a mixture of file units and/or items that include your inmate’s name in the title or description. Then click on the digital image or the underlined/hyper linked document title to see a larger view of the image and to be able to download the image. If you are unable to locate the person you seek, please contact the National Archives at Kansas City (RM-KC) at kansascity.archives@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RM-KC. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

As we suggested in our previous response, please contact the Records Management & Archives of the City of Louisville to request a search of the archives for the inmate records you seek.

We hope this is helpful.  Best of luck in your research!

1 person found this helpful