5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2021 8:47 AM by Elliot Schneider

    Seeking military records of grandfather who served in the Army

    Karen Kelm Wayfarer

      How do I find military records of a man who served in the army but not during a war? My grandfather served in the American Army during the occupation of the Philippines, for 2 years, shortly before WWI. We have been unable to locate any records of his service, and have very little other information about him. His description of military service is one of the few leads we have to look for information about him. I have tried to look up the military involvement in the Philippines but I haven't found much. I am not sure even how to search; most of the military records I have found are from wartime service. I would appreciate learning of some other places to look or even keywords to use. I am new to the History Hub so perhaps the answers will be quite straightforward within this site, however, if anyone knows where to point me, I would appreciate some direction.

        • Re: Seeking military records of grandfather who served in the Army
          Leo Belleville Wayfarer

          Karen Kelm,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          Military service records are held by our colleagues at the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis, MO. These records are restricted for privacy concerns. If your grandfather is still living, we suggest that he may wish to place the request. If he is deceased, and as immediate family you're seeking your grandfather's records, you can also place an online request here: https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records.  Please note that a signature block will need to be downloaded, signed, and mailed or faxed to the NPRC. A hard-copy request form (SF-180) can be also downloaded and mailed in from the same page if desired. Veterans who were separated from service after 1902 and prior to 1958 are located at  NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          It is important to note that when completing the form, we suggest requesting "copies of all records in the file" in the remarks/comments section of either the online or hard-copy form. As an aside, there was a catastrophic fire at the NPRC in July 1973. Many army personnel records were destroyed. 


          Because of the pandemic there may be a delay in responding to the request. We appreciate your patience.

          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from NPRC  Also, the NPRC closed again as of November 7, 2020 until further notice. NPRC will respond only to requests involving burials, medical emergencies, and homeless veterans.  If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines or emergency requests may be faxed to (314) 801-0764.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!


          • Re: Seeking military records of grandfather who served in the Army
            Elliot Schneider Guide



            Do you have additional information on the individual you are seeking? Would help aid in my search. Name, DOB, and place.