1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 8, 2021 10:25 AM by Tracy Skrabut

    Seeking information on Colonel H.G. Messer

    Jack Hotelling Newbie

      Seeking information on Colonel H.G. Messer, listed as a member of the Office of the Chief Signal Officer in the year 1945. He is listed as a sponsor for the "Radio Pioneers 1945" Commemorating the Radio Pioneers Dinner, Hotel Commodore, New York, N.Y., November 8, 1945. He did retire as a Colonel, and after his retirement he was an artist, working in oil on canvas.

        • Re: Seeking information on Colonel H.G. Messer
          Tracy Skrabut Adventurer

          Dear Jack,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service before October 2002 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Air Force personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. .


          Military personnel records are completely opened to the public 62 years after the veteran leaves the military. If less than 62 years have passed since the veteran’s discharge date (to include any reserve time), certain information in the records is not available to the general public without the written consent of the veteran or his next of kin. For more information see Request Military Service Records and Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Holdings.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.



          I regards to his work with the Office of the Chief Signal Officer, if he served at official functions, I might did locate an series which might contain an image of him, if the function you reference was recorded there.


          Index to Personalities in the U.S. Army Signal Corps Photographic Files, 1955 - 1981: Menzies - Mikelaycak




          These records are held at our College Park facility. Their contact information is at the bottom of the catalog page.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!