1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 4, 2021 1:03 PM by Jason Atkinson

I am looking for my father's WWII military unit and records

Tammy Warhurst Newbie

I am looking for my father's WWII military unit and records.  I have already applied for his DD-214, but I would like to know what area of Europe he was deployed to. What campaigns he participated in? I believe he was in Co L, 3rd bn, 22nd infantry.  DOB was 3/24/1924.

thank you

• Re: I am looking for my father's WWII military unit and records
          Jason Atkinson Guide

Dear Ms. Warhurst,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Information about his unit assignment and his campaign ribbons would most likely be in his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF) if his OMPF survived the 1973 fire. For more information about requesting his file,  see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests. If you already ordered his OMPF, please be aware that due to the COVID-19 pandemic, NPRC is currently only servicing requests associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. Also, when regular operations resume, there will be a substantial backlog of non-emergency requests that staff will have to work through. 

We searched National Archives Catalog and located the World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917 - 1985 (Record Group 407) that may includes records of the 22nd Infantry Regiment during WWII. Please not that these records typically do not contain substantial information about individual members of the unit, but often my be used to trace a unit's operations during the course of the war. For more information about these non-digitized records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

Copies of most of the monthly rosters from November 1912 - 1943 and 1947 - 1959 for Army units are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis, MO. Rosters for units serving in World War II from 1944 - 1946 were destroyed in accordance with Army disposition authorities. In lieu of unit rosters, morning reports can sometimes be used to identify when a soldier joined or left a unit. Morning reports for Army Air Force units (from November 1, 1912 to August 1947) and Air Force units (from September 1947 to June 30, 1966) are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). For more information about these records, please contact RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDTP2 and RL-SL.

We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.