5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2021 10:01 AM by Rachael Salyer

Any information regarding William Brate Mason - Navy Seaman 1st class?

Jahnea Mason Newbie

Any information regarding William Brate Mason Date of birth - 1/6/35.

• Re: Any information regarding William Brate Mason - Navy Seaman 1st class?
          Rachael Salyer Navigator

Dear Jahnea Mason,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

If you have not done so already, we suggest that you request a copy of William Brate Mason’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and medical records of enlisted men and officers of the U.S. Navy who were separated from the service after 1958 and before January 31, 1994 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. Certain information in the records is not available to the general public without the written consent of the veteran or his next of kin. For more information see Request Military Service Records.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this information is helpful, and best of luck with your research!

Elliot Schneider Ranger

Jahnea,

Here is some information

Name:William B Mason
            Birth Date:6 Jan 1935
            Death Date:9 Apr 1985
            Enlistment Branch:NAVY
            Enlistment Date:28 Sep 1953
            Discharge Date:23 Aug 1957
                Jahnea Mason Newbie

Thank you so much! I've been really struggling to find any information what so ever. William was my grand father, he died when my Mom was 15 and my uncle was 11 so I am on a search for information so they can learn more about their Dad and so I can learn more about my grandfather. I sincerely can not thank you enough for your time. Any additional information or resources would be a blessing.

Thank you so much!

Jahnea Mason Newbie

Any chance you could find a photo of him while in the service? I've been told they have to have a photo taken in boot camp, unfortunately I have no idea how to find the image.

Any leads would be greatly appreciated!

Rachael Salyer Navigator

Dear Jahnea,

The "official" photograph of an individual is not considered to be a permanent federal record by the respective military services and is not retained in a separate collection by the service. If the photograph you are seeking still exists, it will most likely be found in the individual's Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). However, there is no guarantee the photograph will be present. You may request your grandfather’s OMPF using the link provided in my initial response.

If you know or learn the unit your grandfather served with and/or the ship he served on, you may wish to contact the National Archives at College Park - Still Pictures (RDSS) via email at stillpix@nara.gov since they have custody of photographs of various U.S. Army, Navy, and Marine Corps activities dating from 1940 to 2007. When you submit your inquiry, please include as much information as possible in order to help the reference staff assist you more effectively.

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Logbooks of U.S. Navy Ships and Stations, 1941 - 1983 in the Records of the Bureau of Naval Personnel (Record Group 24) that include the deck logs of numerous Navy ships. If you know or learn the name of the ship that your grandfather served on, you might be able to use the deck log to learn more about the ship’s activities during the war. Some of these records have been digitized and can be viewed online in the Catalog, and you may contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at archives2reference@nara.gov for additional assistance with these and similar records.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDSS and RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this additional information is helpful, and best of luck with your family research!