2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2021 12:27 PM by Susannah Brooks

1900 / 1910 census records?

Jennifer Peyton Newbie

I have been living in Chicago for five years, and just realized that my great-great-grandparents lived here, and my great grandmother was born here in 1878. How do I find census records to show where in Chicago they lived?

My great-great-grandparents are George Henry Hess II (born in 1834, died 22 March 1907). He is buried at Graceland Cemetery with his wife, Mary Ireland Howe (born 1935, died 1923).

My great-grandmother Emma Kiping (Hess) Ingersoll was born 18 Jan 1878, and died 15 July 1941.

I would love to know where they lived while they were in Chicago. I appreciate any guidance and help!!!

• Re: 1900 / 1910 census records?
          Josette Schluter Adventurer

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub.

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Population Schedules for the 1900 Census, and the Population Schedules for the 1910 Census, in the Records of the Bureau of the Census (Record Group 29) that may contain records of your great great grandparents and great- grandmother.  For access to the non-digitized schedules such as the 1880 Census and the 1890, please contact the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) via email at archives1reference@nara.gov.

If you are unfamiliar with doing research in the U.S. Census records, we recommend that you check out the National Archives resource page on the U.S. Census Records

Additionally NARA has a digitization partnership with Ancestry.com, which makes the U.S. Census available online, however there may be a fee to access the records this way. If you do not have an account, some public libraries offer access through subscriptions to sites like this, making them free to their patrons. Normally you could do the same at any NARA facility but at this time many of our locations are closed to the public due to the COVID- 19 pandemic.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope that this information was helpful.

• Re: 1900 / 1910 census records?
            Susannah Brooks Navigator

1870 US Census does not give street addresses.

1880 US Census they lived at 229 39th St, Chicago Ancestry.com - 1880 United States Federal Census

1890 (census destroyed)

from the Chicago City Directory 1890

At the time of the 1900 US Census they lived at 3738 Lake Ave in the 4th Ward of Chicago: United States Census, 1900; https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-68DL-YB?cc=1325221&wc=9B74-1X3%3A1030552601%2C1031967101%2C1032602201

1910 Mary Hess was living with her daughter Louise Pope and her family at 627 Library Place, Evanston City

1920 Mary Hess, age 84. lived with her daughter Lydia Lowry and her family at 1643 Kenilworth Ave, Chicago.Ancestry.com - 1920 United States Federal Census

Burial notice for Mary Howe Hess from Chicago Tribune 2 Jan 1923

You could get any additional addresses from Chicago City directories, which are available on Ancestry.com (subscription website) or at the main Chicago Library.