5 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2016 11:18 AM by Van Zbinden

I have a brick wall,

Teri Thompson

I am searching for information for my Great Grandfather Smith H. Hodge b. 1863 TX  d. 1947 OK. I have been searching for him for about  12 years. I do have census 1900 Chickasaw Nation, 1910 Walker, Garvin County, 1920 Walker, Garvin Co, 1930 Fannin TX, 1940 Springer, OK I also can prove Marriage 28 Nov 1886 Hillsboro, Hill CO,TX  and birth of Son 1887 TX & Daughter 1890 Hillsboro, Hill TX, Daughter 1891 TX, Daughter 1893 Hillsboro, Hill CO TX, Son 1895 Indian Territory then I have the rest of the children born in OK. so what I am really looking for is before 1900  Smith H. Hodge. His Parents are William and Elizabeth Hodge. Thank You for any and all help. I subscribe to Ancestry, and am willing to help anyone I can. 

20 Dec 1887Somervell County, Texas, USA

20 Dec 1887Somervell County, Texas, U daughter

• Re: I have a brick wall,
          Carol Buswell

Family Search (www.familysearch.org) has a possible entry for William and Verilla Hodge (her middle name might have been Elizabeth) on Texas Deaths and Burials Texas Deaths and Burials, 1903-1973 — FamilySearch.org .

It is clear from the census that the father was born in Mississippi and the mother in Louisiana.  Start searching other records, such as the one above, for the ENTIRE FAMILY.  That way, if Marcus was Smith's brother you would have the beginnings of a search before 1900.  The census is only a skeleton.  You will need Smith's siblings to do a serious search for the earlier family records.

I would recommend you work with a genealogist at your local library or genealogical society or an archivist at the Fort Worth National Archives to locate necessary background information and available documents other than the census.  Contact them at  ftworth.archives@nara.gov 

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              Teri Thompson

Smith's Father, William Hodge was born 1817 in Lawrence County Arkansas  and his Mother  Mary Elizabeth Strop born 1826 Alabama and  Married 6 Apr 1849. Alabama all of Smith's' older siblings were all born in Falls County TX. Smith's Death certificate says he also was born in Texas but I  cannot find this family in 1870 census at all, I do however find  Agriculture and Tax records for the Father? and he had a younger sister Willie Angeiline b 1872 in Johnson County Texas. any suggestions on how to find Smith in the 1870 census he would be about 4 yrs. old Thank You any and all help Teri

1817Lawrence County, Arkansas, USA

Van Zbinden

Teri Thompson You know I have seen in my research examples where people and families don't get into the census. It's not common but I've seen it. I hope this is not one of those instances. Your research might have to become more local than the census. I would recommend calling, if you haven't already, the folks at the Marlin [Texas] Public Library. Their genealogy page is here Genealogy Research at the Library | Public Library Resources . Perhaps they have access to county record books that can point in new directions and help you get around this wall.

1 of 1 people found this helpful