2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2021 6:19 PM by Marcia Johnson

Graves Registration during the Korean War

Marcia Johnson Newbie

Good morning all,

I am looking for graves registration (Form52B) or list of those KIA in Korea and who's remains were temporarily buried in South Korea during the war.

My uncle was documented as killed in action on September 18, 1950 but his remains were not returned to the family until July-August 1951.

He was with the US Army, 27th Infantry, 25th Division.

I'm also looking for any after action reports from that day, September 18, 1950, detailing his status and accounts made by fellow soldiers.

Where can I find them or are they available?

Thank you for your help.

M. Lynne

• Re: Graves Registration during the Korean War
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

Dear Ms. Johnson,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

The information you seek may be contained in his Individual Deceased Personnel File (IDPF). IDPFs from 1940-1976 for U.S. Army personnel with surnames that begin with A-L are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). Also, morning reports for Army units from November 1, 1912 to 1959 are in the custody of RL-SL. For more information about these records, please contact RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located a series titled Unit Histories, 1943 - 1967 in the Records of U.S. Army Operational, Tactical, and Support Organizations (World War II and Thereafter) ( Record Group 338) that includes 72 files pertaining to the 27th Infantry Regiment. For access to and/or copies of this/these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RL-SL and RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

For the IDPFs from 1940-1976 of personnel with surnames that begin with M-Z, please write to U.S. Army Human Resources Command, Casualty & Memorial Affairs Operations Division, ATTN: AHRC-PDC, 1600 Spearhead Division Avenue, Department 450, Fort Knox, KY 40122-5405. They are being scanned by the Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency in order to properly identify remains of those still listed as missing.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!