5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2021 10:46 AM by Elliot Schneider

Seeking information about Howard Casper Swanson

Lauren Norkin Newbie

Trying to find any information about Howard Casper Swanson, a pilot in the Army Airforce(?) and my grandfather, who died in WWII. We think he was born in Canada in 1913 and died in combat or a training mission in December 1941. He was married to Aileen Elizabeth Rulford (not sure of first letter). In 1937, they lived in Sioux Falls, SD, year their daughter Sharon Lynn Swanson was born. Just yesterday, I first read the names of my grandparents, which my late mother who had been given up, kept fiercely hidden. We did not even know she knew their names until my wife--in box 58 of 62 bankers/book boxes--discovered a book of War Orphans where she had contributed her own paragraph. Perhaps Aileen remarried and we have relatives out there we did not know about?

• Re: Seeking information about Howard Casper Swanson
          Elliot Schneider Ranger

Ms. Norkin,

Also please see where he is buried. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/136269400/howard-charles-swanson

Here is some information below. He did not die in WW2 he died in 1969. Also please see his marriage license.

Lauren Norkin Newbie

Our man is Howard CASPER Swanson. The marriage certificate is for him and he is married to the right lady! But the grave is for Howard CHARLES Swanson. In the Orphan book, my MIL said his middle name was Casper.

I am on ancestry.com right now and I am having trouble finding incidences of Howard Casper Swanson. I have found both Howard Swanson and Howard Charles Swanson interlinked with the Alleen Fulford mixed up on other people's trees as well.

If Howard Casper and Howard Charles are the same and he did not die, then he left them and changed his middle name to Charles!!!  Awfully suspicious that they are BOTH from Canada, eh?

I have a message in to veterans to see about his death. I was able to search Canadian Royal AF (no Howard Swansons at all) and he does not appear there. Must have been American.

THANK YOU FOR SENDING THIS!! This is so intoxicating!!

Oh...and since I wrote this question, I found out that Swanson and Fulford had a son (or at least SHE had a son) before my MIL! So my husband has an uncle or a half uncle. I found that family and I messaged them!

Lauren Norkin Newbie

Hey there Elliott!

OMG!! This is rat maze!!! I am poking around some more. Howard Casper Swanson and Howard Charles Swanson share the same date of birth and the same place of origin AND THE SAME WIFE.

Howard Casper Swanson married Alleen Fulford on October 28, 1933 (thank you for the marriage record). She was 18. He was 21.

Howard Casper Swanson enlisted in the military 6 years later (thank you for service registration card too!).

Howard Charles Swanson divorced Alleen Folford in 1942.

Howard Charles Swanson married Gloria Gladys Cron/Swanson/Severetti one year prior in 1941. Can you tell me where you are getting marriage records? I would love to have this one too...and the divorce record from Fulford.

In his obituary, he doesn't even mention his two children (one is my mother in law). This man was no war hero. He was a cad who cheated on his wife and left her, divorcing her a year after he was married to someone else!

I wonder if his "new" wife knew?

I wish I had thought to root before my MIL past away. She was a very bitter woman who idolized her father (whom she thought died during WWII in a training accident). She thought her mother abandoned her. But looking at the true fact, her father abandoned her mother and them, and her mother was likely destitute. It kind of was her whole life...idolizing men and despising the women who she thought harmed her (and some actually did). It did create tension in OUR relationship since I was the only female to marry in.

I am trying to track his son, my MIL's brother, John Swanson (aka John Kerner). John Swanson was born a year after they were married. Why does he go by John Kerner?? I found some references to Alleen Fulford from 1930 to 1933 as Alleen Fulford, but she would have been 17 to 20 then. If John hated his dad (and he would have been old enough during the split to know what was going on), he would have changed to Fulford??

I will also track though the new wife!

Elliot Schneider Ranger

Lauren,

The reason I putt the two Howards on Charles and the Casper middle names originally was because their birthdates were both the same. Plus I think you figured it out by your last post. LoL.

Here is something else I found a 1940 Census and guess what Howards wifes first name Alleen was also known as Alleanm and Aileen. Please see census record they had two children John and Sharon

See the fourth or fifth  document with alernate name of Alleen E. Kerner I would also look into records in Santa Clara, CA this also makes sense since John's record and last residence shows him in Santa Clara, CA  Looks like he passed away in 2003. and here is his obituary. https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/mercurynews/obituary.aspx?n=john-howard-kerner&pid=1339060&fhid=2112

John Kerner/Swanson: He went to Stanford University 1954

Name:John Kerner
                      Birth Date:6 Oct 1934
                      Issue Year:1951
                      Issue State:California
                      Last Residence:95032, Los Gatos, Santa Clara, California, USA
                      Death Date:21 Aug 2003

Here is Sharon information the daughter of Howard and Alleen:

Name:Sharon Swanson
                      Marriage Age:31
                      Birth Date:abt 1938
                      Residence Date:1969
                      Residence Place:Stillwater, Washington, Minnesota, USA
                      Marriage Date:15 Aug 1969
                      Marriage Place:Codington, South Dakota, USA
                      Spouse:Kenneth Letourneau

Name:Alleen Elizabeth Kerner
                      [Alleen Elizabeth Fulford]
                      Social Security #:
                      Birth Date:20 Jul 1915
                      Birth Place:South Dakota
                      Death Date:12 Aug 1992
                      Death Place:Santa Clara
                      Mother's Maiden Name:McCord
                      Father's Surname:Fulford

Name:Alleen Fulford Swanson[Allen Ful Damato][Alleen Kerner][Alleen Fulford Fulford]
                      Race:White
                      Birth Date:20 Jul 1915
                      Birth Place:Sioux Falls, South Dakota
                      Death Date:Aug 1992
                      Father:Allen T Fulford
                      Mother:Julia B McCord
                      SSN:503168347
                      Notes:Jun 1941: Name listed as ALLEEN FULFORD SWANSON; Jan 1945: Name listed as ALLEN FUL DAMATO; Feb 1965: Name listed as ALLEEN ELIZABETH KERNER; 19 Aug 1992: Name listed as ALLEEN E KERNER

Event Type:Census
                      Name:Howard Swanson •
                      Sex:Male
                      Event Date:1940 •
                      Event Place:Sioux Falls, Minnehaha, South Dakota, United States •
                      Event Place (Original):Sioux Falls, 50-42B, Minnehaha, South Dakota, United States
                      Previous Residence:Same Place •
                      Birth Year (Estimated):1914
                      Birthplace:Canada •
                      Marital Status:Married
                      Race:White
                      Relationship to Head of Household:Head
                      Sheet Letter:B
                      Sheet Number:1

Household

Role

Sex

Birthplace

Howard Swanson

Head

Male

Canada

Allean Swanson

Wife

Female

South Dakota

John Swanson

Son

Male

South Dakota

Sharon Swanson

Daughter

Female

South Dakota

1 person found this helpful
                  Jason Atkinson Ranger

Dear Ms. Norkin,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub

We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for officers of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after June 1917 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  If there is any information requested by the form that you do not know, you may omit it or provide estimates (such as for dates), but the more information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the correct file if it survived the fire. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

The information you seek may be contained in his Individual Deceased Personnel File (IDPF). For the IDPFs from 1940-1976 of personnel with surnames that begin with M-Z, please write to U.S. Army Human Resources Command, Casualty & Memorial Affairs Operations Division, ATTN: AHRC-PDC, 1600 Spearhead Division Avenue, Department 450, Fort Knox, KY 40122-5405. They are being scanned by the Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency in order to properly identify remains of those still listed as missing.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!