4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2021 2:18 PM by jimmieanna hays

Seeking records about PVT Bruce Rogers

jimmieanna hays Newbie

I am trying to figure out why my Uncle PVT Bruce Rogers who was KIA on March 4, 1945 and was part of 309th Infantry Regiment of the 78th Infantry Division. The family was told he died in Enzen, Germany and that division was never listed as being even near Enzen, Germany, which makes no sense at all? I have been researching my Uncle Bruce Rogers journey throughout his service during WW2, I am using the sources that are available on many sites; Ancestry.com military records, books, and spent literally hours combing through numerable recollections on the internet, and I remain dumbfounded as why he was even in Enzen, Germany when nothing is showing up in regards to the 78th Infantry being in that area on that date. Doubtfully, anyone can offer me an explanation, as I think this information is incorrect, but in order to turn over any and every rock and see if I can make sense of this mystery, I am giving it all I have.

• Re: Seeking records about PVT Bruce Rogers
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

Dear Ms. Hays,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.

We searched National Archives Catalog and located the World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917 - 1985 (Record Group 407) that may includes records of the 309th Infantry Regiment during WWII. For more information about these non-digitized records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

Morning reports for Army units from November 1, 1912 to 1959 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). For more information about these records, please contact RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2 and RL-SL. Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

The information you seek may be contained in his Individual Deceased Personnel File (IDPF). For the IDPFs from 1940-1976 of personnel with surnames that begin with M-Z, please write to U.S. Army Human Resources Command, Casualty & Memorial Affairs Operations Division, ATTN: AHRC-PDC, 1600 Spearhead Division Avenue, Department 450, Fort Knox, KY 40122-5405. They are being scanned by the Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency in order to properly identify remains of those still listed as missing.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

jimmieanna hays Newbie

Thank you for all of this, I had already contacted the NARA for additional information back in late December of 2020. I have not received any response, I did check again today to see if there was any progress in dealing with my request and so far, no action has been taken.

There are other resources you offered to me, all using snail mail, which is fine and all that, but you know we get spoiled, and I am guilty, instant gratification  is fun. ha!

Jason, my first ray of light happened today, I found where the "3rd battalion of the 78th Infantry" reached Enzen Germany on March 5th, 1945, my uncle was reportedly kia on March 4th just outside Enzen, this leads me to believe he may have been part of that unit that went to Enzen, he may have been killed before Enzen or leaving Enzen? How would I know if he was in the "3rd Batatlion" ?  I only know he was in the Co A  309th Infantry, 78th division? No where have I located any official document saying if he is in a "battalion".  Is there someone that can explain that part to me, then I can continue to dig.

Thanks so much for your previous response.

jimmianna

Lisa Sharik Adventurer

Company A is part of 1st Battalion.

For Infantry Divisions :

1st Battalion:  Companies A,B,C, and D

2nd Battalion:  Companies E,F,G, and H

3rd Battalion: Companies I,K, L, and M

Companies D,H and M are Heavy Weapons Companies the rest are rifle Companies.

It is possible that all or part of Company A, 309th Infantry Regiment was assigned to 3rd BN on the date in question. The Morning Reports for Company A would provide that information as would the S3 Journals for the 309th Infantry Regiment. Someone from the National Archives can provide your with direct links to those records series.

Respectfully,

Lisa Sharik

Deputy Director

Texas Military Forces Museum

1 person found this helpful
                      jimmieanna hays Newbie

Dear Lisa,

This filled in the gaps, I am so grateful, as I believe using your clear information I have been able to retrace his final days, I found an online book pdf   Lightening 78th Infantry

using that book I have found where he was until that final day on March 4th, 1945. He was between Linzenich and Enzen, which it all fits. My grand parents would be so proud to know I have done this, he was a much loved son, and he gave his life for our country, makes me very proud.

thanks all for your help,

(I plan on creating a storyboard for our future family to see his final days) So his memory will live on

Gratefully,

jimmieanna