1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 2, 2021 9:52 AM by Rachael Salyer

    Seeking records of Elliot and Paul Gaucher who died in WWII

    Edward Lapensee Newbie

      I'm from Worcester Massachusetts and there is a memorial square in my neighborhood and I would like to know more about two brothers who are honored there. The names are Elliot and Paul Gaucher who died in WWII. Thank you

        • Re: Seeking records of Elliot and Paul Gaucher who died in WWII
          Rachael Salyer Ranger

          Dear Mr. Lapensee,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We searched the Access to Archival Databases (AAD) and located the World War II Army Enlistment Records database that includes one file for Gaucher, Paul. You may wish to use the information in this file when requesting a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF).


          We suggest that you request a copy of Elliot Gaucher's and Paul Gaucher’s Official Military Personnel Files (OMPFs). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Since the two men died during the war, you may also wish to request their Individual Deceased Personnel Files (IDPFs). IDPFs from 1940-1976 for U.S. Army personnel with surnames that begin with A-L are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). For more information about these records, please contact RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RL-SL. Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          You may also be interested in the project THE MEMORIAL SQUARES OF WORCESTER IQP and the article Officer catalogs 237 memorial squares in Worcester.


          Finally, the Worcester Public Library also offers some information about the Memorial Squares on their website. You may wish to contact them directly to see if they can offer you any additional assistance.


          We hope this information is helpful, and best of luck with your research!