1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 1, 2021 2:23 PM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking records of uncle

    Debi Martocci Newbie

      The family never knew what happened to him. My grandfather had to pay the American Red Cross to find him. The term used at the time was "shellshocked"  He was `100% disabled from the war. I have his enlisted dated, his Army #, his discharge date, I don't think he ever got a DD-214. His medical treatment was received from the VA in Miami after 1954, until his death in 1997, Not sure where he got treatment before 1954. He lived with my grandparents in NJ. The only thing the index record says is "Injury type: Disease; Injury type2: Not a traumatism.  Discharge type: Discharged or retired for disability Line of Duty, Yes; Final Result: Discharge/retirement: med reasons--but not for any residual condition w/a code. Any details would be helpful, we don't know where he was sent, what regiment, nothing. Thanks

        • Re: Seeking records of uncle
          Jason Atkinson Guide

          Dear Ms. Martocci,

          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status.


          We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

          1 person found this helpful