4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2021 12:19 PM by Jenny Sweeney

Where do I get started?

Cody King-Palmer Newbie

Hello all. I love researching and documenting all kinds of things. My family tree is rich with deep ties in American history and I want to gather as much of that, and a lot of other things (like the "missing era" of documents for GM vehicles made in the early 1960s) among other things. Someone please help me guide through this.

• Re: Where do I get started?
          Tracy Skrabut Adventurer

Dear Cody,

While NARA does not hold the records of corporate entities such as General Motors, GM does have quite an extensive corporate archives which might be of use to you in your research.

GM Heritage Center

https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/gm-heritage-archive/index.html

If these documents were generated by GM about their vehicles, they may be able to assist you in discovering more information about these missing era records.

I hope this is helpful in your research!

Tracy

Cody King-Palmer Newbie

That was one of the first places I contacted. They don't have any records before 74 I believe. Do you guys have newspapers and magazines from 63 and 64?

Jenny Sweeney Wayfarer

Thank you for contacting History Hub, Cody,

The National Archives is the nation's record keeper, and preserves and makes accessible the documents and materials created in the course of business conducted by the United States Federal government.  Therefore, the National Archives does not hold newspapers or magazines unless created by the federal government.

Chronicling America is free online database developed and maintained by the Library of Congress that provides free access to information about historic newspapers and select digitized newspaper pages.

You may also wish to reach out to the Newspaper and Current Periodicals Reading Room at the Library of Congress, whose staff may be able to direct you to other useful resources. Contact information and a link to Ask-a-Librarian may be found on their website.

There are numerous online collections of newspapers, however no single collection is going to be comprehensive and many require paid subscriptions.  One free site is https://news.google.com/newspapers however the exact date spans of newspapers they include vary greatly.

Was there a specific newspaper, geographic area, or topic you wanted to research?

One of the first things to do in order to find old newspapers is to contact your local public library.  Many libraries have collections of their own or have institutional subscriptions to online databases.  If you know which newspapers you are interested and those newspapers still exist, you should also contact the newspaper company directly so they can let you know what options exist for researching their previous issues.

All the best of luck on your research!

Susannah Brooks Tracker

A free newspaper website is Chronicling America « Library of Congress (loc.gov).  Some other newspapers can be found using a google search.