1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 1, 2021 11:21 AM by Rachael Salyer

    Father's military records - enlisted in 1940 in Fort Snelling, Minnesota

    Robert Hegler Newbie

      My dad served in the US Army during D-Day, Normandy and survived.  He never spoke of WWII much.  I would like to know his unit and his path  through European Theater.   He enlisted on Sept 19, 1940 in Fort Snelling, Minnesota.  He was in the US Calvary as a PVT.  I am trying to write a history of my family for my children and would like to include any information about their grandfather. 

        • Re: Father's military records - enlisted in 1940 in Fort Snelling, Minnesota
          Rachael Salyer Ranger

          Dear Mr. Hegler,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We searched the Access to Archival Databases (AAD) and located the World War II Army Enlistment Records database that you may wish to search to locate your father’s Army enlistment record. You may use the information in this file when requesting a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF).


          If you have not done so already, we suggest that you request a copy of your father’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Once you learn which unit(s) he served in, you may also wish to contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at archives2reference@nara.gov, which has custody of various unit histories and operational reports for World War II, to see if they can offer you any additional assistance.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          We hope this information is helpful, and best of luck with your family research!