3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2021 10:25 AM by Eric Kilgore

Trying to find who has my dad, Harry J. Carter, Jr. buried at Calverton National Cemetary.

LaKeisha Chestnut Newbie

I have been searching for my father since I was 18. 22 years after an exhausting search, I found my father and his grave site at Calverton. I obtained his service records over a year ago, but I have no clue on how to find the person responsible for having my dad buried at Calverton. That's where I am stuck. Because finding that information will help me in finding my family I never have met.

• Re: Trying to find who has my dad, Harry J. Carter, Jr. buried at Calverton National Cemetary.
          Elliot Schneider Ranger

LaKeisha,

Can you please provide me with some additional information on the individual above such as DOB, place of birth would help me narrow down what time period we are looking at.

• Re: Trying to find who has my dad, Harry J. Carter, Jr. buried at Calverton National Cemetary.
            Elliot Schneider Ranger

LaKeisha,

I would try and contact the following, they maybe able to give you information on who owns the burial plot and who is on any of the paperwork.

Calverton National Cemetery

210 Princeton Boulevard
            Calverton, NY 11933

Phone: 631-727-5410
            FAX: 631-369-4397

Name:Harry J Carter Jr
            Death Age:38
            Birth Date:3 Nov 1945
            Service Start Date:28 Jan 1966
            Service End Date:16 Sep 1967
            Death Date:29 Sep 1984
            Internment Date:5 Oct 1984
            Internment Place:New York, USA
            Cemetery Address:210 Princeton Boulevard Rt 25 Calverton, NY 11933
            Cemetery:Calverton National Cemetery
            Plot:Section 10 Site 9368
            Notes:Cs2 Us Navy Vietnam
            1 person found this helpful
              Eric Kilgore Adventurer

Dear LaKeisha Chestnut,

Thank you for posting your question on History Hub!

Since you've already obtained your father's service records, another potentially helpful series would be the Application for Headstones and Markers (Department of Memorial Affairs).  This series covers the time period from 1920-1985 and is located at the National Archives at St. Louis / National Personnel Records Center.  Under normal circumstances, requesting these records is pretty simple.  However, due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, and our limited workforce, we are prioritizing requests from veterans and families for medical emergencies, final military honors, and other essential benefits.  Currently, there is a substantial backlog of routine requests, in addition to the emergency requests awaiting response.  While it is still unknown how soon we will able to resume responding to routine requests,  the National Personnel Record Center is working hard and taking an aggressive approach to decreasing response times and eliminating the backlog.

For more information, feel free to email stl.archives@nara.gov with any questions you might have.  Here is a link to the "Other than OMPF" records list which might help as well: Non- OMPF series

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RRPO (The National Archives at St. Louis). We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.