1 Reply Latest reply on May 28, 2021 3:40 PM by Charles Miller

    Location of POW hospital in Budapest Hungary WWII

    Marsha Rivas Newbie

      I am visiting Budapest this summer and would like to see the place where my father was hospitalized as a POW in WWII. I do not know the name of the hospital or its location. Any help would be appreciated!

        • Re: Location of POW hospital in Budapest Hungary WWII
          Charles Miller Adventurer

          Dear Marsha Rivas,


          Thank you for contacting History Hub!


          About 130,000 American service members were captured by the enemy during World War II. The National Archives has records that list the names of individual POWs. To search records in our custody, a researcher needs to have the name of the POW, rank, service number, and approximate date and place of capture.


          In addition, the electronic records series Records of World War II Prisoners of War contains about 143,000 records of U.S. military personnel and U.S. and Allied civilians who were held as prisoners of war or internees by Japanese or German powers. The record for each individual includes information such as name, serial number, detaining power, POW or internment camp, report date, and unit.  This series of records is accessible through Access to Archival Databases (AAD) at www.archives.gov/aad and by clicking on the link “World War II.” 



          You can also request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF), if you have not done so already, although this may not include any POW information.  OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Additionally, here is a blog post describing WWII Military Unit Records at the National Archives: https://historyhub.history.gov/community/military-records/army-and-air-force-records/blog/2017/08/25/wwii-military-unit-records-at-the-national-archives


          This may be some duplication of the above links, but here is a page on Requesting Veterans’ Service Records from the National Archives:



          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request.  We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          We hope this is helpful.  Best of luck in your research.