2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2021 11:39 AM by Jason Atkinson

    Is there anything in WW1 records that state Mother's maiden name?


      Looking for Joseph Henry Schiedler"s Mother's maiden name.  He was older during WW1 born 1886 in Oregon.

        • Re: Is there anything in WW1 records that state Mother's maiden name?
          Donna Westling Newbie

          Looking at the 1900, 1910, 1920 US Census Data for names of his parents and siblings, as well as the US Social Security Applications and Claims Index, containing the names of Joseph Henry Schiedler's siblings (provided by Ancestry.com) the data state that his mother's maiden name is Catherine Bouer.

          I looked for her memorial on Find-A-Grave and saw her birth and death dates as 1843-1913.

          • Re: Is there anything in WW1 records that state Mother's maiden name?
            Jason Atkinson Guide

            Dear Ms. Schielder,

            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

            We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. If there is any information requested by the form that you do not know, you may omit it or provide estimates (such as for dates), but the more information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the correct file if it survived the fire. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            Additionally, if there is a Deceased Veterans Claims Files (XC Files) for him, it may contain information about this family.  For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL) via email at stl.archives@nara.gov.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RL-SL. Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status.


            We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.