1 Reply Latest reply on May 26, 2021 5:16 PM by Jenny Sweeney

    Seeking records of Army enlistees sent to Butte, Montana

    John Martin Newbie

      My father enlisted in the Army at the start of WWII and because he was a Pa. coal miner, the Army sent him to Butte, Montana to dig copper.  He was almost killed in a cave in and was separated in 1944.

        • Re: Seeking records of Army enlistees sent to Butte, Montana
          Jenny Sweeney Wayfarer

          Hello Mr. Martin,


          Thank you for posting your question to History Hub!


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2 and RL-SL. Also, the NPRC closed again as of November 7, 2020 until further notice. NPRC will respond only to requests involving burials, medical emergencies, and homeless veterans. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines or emergency requests may be faxed to (314) 801-0764.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.


          Additionally, you might want to check out Montana Tech’s Digital Commons which has scanned copies of the Copper Commando:  The Official Newspaper of the Victory Labor-Management Production Committees of Butte, Anaconda and Great Falls, Montana.  It appears to have many photographs and information about mining in Montana during the war years.



          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!