1 Reply Latest reply on May 25, 2021 10:26 AM by Alex Champion

Which immigration records have pictures?

Andrew Gill Newbie

Last night I went over one of my great grand aunts immigration files and came across her Declaration of Intent file that had a picture of her. I thought this was cool and could hopefully get more pictures of my family. I had another aunt who immigrated to the United States in the 20s and became naturalized in 1949. However, because she was married, she was not required to file a declaration of intent. Are there any other possible immigration records that would have included a picture of my great grand aunt?

So far I've seen her petition for naturalization, certificate of arrival, affidavit of witness, and finally her naturalization index in 1949. None of these have pictures of her.

• Re: Which immigration records have pictures?
          Alex Champion Scout

Hello, and thank you for submitting your question to History Hub!

With some exceptions it is fairly uncommon for permanently retained, civilian government records to contain photographs. It seems as though you came across this picture of your relative from her personal files, not ones in the custody of the National Archives and Records Administration.

There are varying kinds of immigration and naturalization documents depending on your relative’s circumstances that may, but likely not, contain photographs. If they were in the military or otherwise an employee of the federal government, there would be additional avenues of inquiry.

We suggest you consult this History Hub immigration and naturalization blog and others to guide you through this process and pare down non-relevant resources.

Thank you again for your post!