1 Reply Latest reply on May 24, 2021 1:47 PM by Lauren Theodore

    how do I find my fathers army service dates

    Rick Williams Newbie

      How do I find my fathers Army service records ?

        • Re: how do I find my fathers army service dates
          Lauren Theodore Adventurer

          Dear Mr. Williams,


          Thank you for posting your question on History Hub.


          For more information on your father's dates of service in the US Army, we recommend requesting his DD-214 and/or his full Official Military Personnel File. Depending on his date of discharge, his records will be in one of two places.


          Official Military Personnel Files (OMPFs), including DD214s, and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to October 2002 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued.


          Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 to the best of your knowledge and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  Or you may apply online at http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/


          Official Military Personnel Files (OMPFs) and supporting documents for those who served in the U.S. Army and the Army Reserves served since October 2002 are in the custody of the U. S. Army Human Resources Command, ATTN: AHRC-PDR-VIB, 1600 Spearhead Division Avenue, Department 420, Fort Knox, KY 40122-5402. The telephone number is 1-888-276-9472; email address is askhrc.army@us.army.mil; and the web site is www.hrc.army.mil.


          We hope this information is helpful in your research.




          The National Archives and Records Administration