1 Reply Latest reply on May 24, 2021 11:33 AM by Charleen Vocca

Seeking records of TB Sanitarium in Wolfe City

Stephen Grothe Newbie

Were any records from the TB sanitariums back in the early 1900s kept, - records that can be examined now? My great grandmother died of TB in 1913, Wolfe City, TX, and her husband a few years before, - but we are having difficulty finding the death records. She wasn't wealthy or even "well-to-do" so I suspect there was no newspaper mention (haven't found one yet - but have mainly focused on newspapers.com - I dread the microfiche files in the libraries, but I suspect that is the fate that awaits me.... ). If TB personal or sanitarium records from the 1900 - 1920 period still exist, where would one look for them? Libraries? The good news is that we have a grave marker with her death date on it. Thanks!

• Re: Seeking records of TB Sanitarium in Wolfe City
          Charleen Vocca Adventurer

Dear Mr. Grothe,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We located the following website that may be helpful in your research, TSHA | Sanatorium, TX.

We also located a listing of Tuberculosis Institutions in Texas on the Texas Genealogy Trails website that may be of interest to you.  Please scroll down to a directory of the facilities treating TB patients and the dates they opened. This listing may include hospitals closer to Wolfe City, such as in Dallas or Fort Worth.  The directory was compiled from the publication titled A Tuberculosis Directory that may be available through an interlibrary loan from a local medical university in your area.  These institutions may still have patient records from the early 1900s. If it was a state institution, records may have been sent to the Texas State Library & Archives Commission.

Lastly, we suggest that you request a copy of your great-grandmother’s death certificate using the form provided at this link: Texas Vital Records.  Please note that the application must be notarized and include the appropriate fees and identification.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

2 people found this helpful