8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2021 3:54 PM by Stephen Grothe

Seeking records of TB Sanitarium in Wolfe City

Stephen Grothe Wayfarer

Were any records from the TB sanitariums back in the early 1900s kept, - records that can be examined now? My great grandmother died of TB in 1913, Wolfe City, TX, and her husband a few years before, - but we are having difficulty finding the death records. She wasn't wealthy or even "well-to-do" so I suspect there was no newspaper mention (haven't found one yet - but have mainly focused on newspapers.com - I dread the microfiche files in the libraries, but I suspect that is the fate that awaits me.... ). If TB personal or sanitarium records from the 1900 - 1920 period still exist, where would one look for them? Libraries? The good news is that we have a grave marker with her death date on it. Thanks!

• Re: Seeking records of TB Sanitarium in Wolfe City
          Charleen Vocca Scout

Dear Mr. Grothe,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We located the following website that may be helpful in your research, TSHA | Sanatorium, TX.

We also located a listing of Tuberculosis Institutions in Texas on the Texas Genealogy Trails website that may be of interest to you.  Please scroll down to a directory of the facilities treating TB patients and the dates they opened. This listing may include hospitals closer to Wolfe City, such as in Dallas or Fort Worth.  The directory was compiled from the publication titled A Tuberculosis Directory that may be available through an interlibrary loan from a local medical university in your area.  These institutions may still have patient records from the early 1900s. If it was a state institution, records may have been sent to the Texas State Library & Archives Commission.

Lastly, we suggest that you request a copy of your great-grandmother’s death certificate using the form provided at this link: Texas Vital Records.  Please note that the application must be notarized and include the appropriate fees and identification.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

2 people found this helpful
              Stephen Grothe Wayfarer

Thank you, it is a good start! I wonder what happened to the patient records from these old hospitals. Would the state have taken custody of the records?

Charleen Vocca Scout

Dear Mr. Grothe,

Thank you for posting your follow-up request on History Hub! 

As stated in our previous response, please search the publication titled A Tuberculosis Directory  for Texas institutions. The Directory may be available through an interlibrary loan from a local medical university in your area.  These institutions listed in the Directory may still have patient records from the early 1900s. If it was a state institution, records may have been sent to the Texas State Library & Archives Commission.

If you are able to obtain a copy of her death certificate using the form at Texas Vital Records, the certificate may indicate the hospital where she died.  Please use this information to review the directory listed above.

We hope this is helpful.  Best of luck with your family research!

1 person found this helpful
                      Stephen Grothe Wayfarer

Thanks for the good leads. I was able to purchase the book for about $14 from Amazon.com - it's been reprinted in paperback form. After I review it, I'll come back and let everyone know if it turned out to be a useful resource. :-)

Stephen Grothe Wayfarer

Thanks for the fabulous information, everyone! It’s just awesome to have a resource like the folks involved in History Hub! Unfortunately for me none of the suggestions have panned out. The TB Sanitarium information is sketchy at best and tends to be focused on the two big Texas Sanitariums after my ancestor had already passed. I explored birth records (with TSDH and the pertinent counties) on three different occasions over the last 10 years and nothing has come up. FYI: the folks are the TSDH are very friendly and helpful. I love that Southern hospitality! But.....The record keeping and reporting of births and deaths was still edgy in the early 1900s. Many people were born at home - I wonder how many of those births were reported and validated by the issuance of a birth cert? Adding to the challenge is the lack of maintenance of the old cemeteries in Texas and elsewhere. The remaining tombstones and grave markers give us names and dates, but the missing cemetery records are problematic in that there could be additional useful information in those records. I’m going to keep on this and will post here if I discover new information sources everyone can use. Again, thanks to all - you are the greatest!!!

Guest Citizen Adventurer

I Found this information on TB Sanatoriums in Texas. You could contact the Texas Department of Health Services for the information you are seeking. There is a time limit on how long medical records must be kept.

https://www.dshs.state.tx.us/tcid/history.shtm

Alice Lane Pioneer

Hi Stephen,

Would you like to share the names of your great-grandparents to do a search for death records.

Alice Lane

Research Volunteer

Stephen Grothe Wayfarer

Alice, thanks for your reply. Having a skilled professional volunteer to help us out is beyond my wildest dreams! If you have to spend money to do this, let me know and I will be happy to cover your costs. Again, from our family thanks in advance. I will list what I have here, as it's not much.

Great Grandmother: Margaret E. "Maggie" Campbell. b. June 1885 Hopkins Cty., TX. Died 25 JAN 1913 Wolfe City.

I will attach copies of the only documents I have that apply if you need them and can give me an email address that will handle attachments (doesn't appear this one will). Maggie married Palmer Gore in 1903 in Greenville, Hunt TX and two children came of that union, - my grandmother Ella Mae Gore (b. 1904, Quinlan, Hunt Texas - no birth cert exists) and my Uncle Glenn Gore b. 1906, Durant OK, no birth cert exists).

My grandfather W. P. Gore (known as "Palmer" within the family) disappears after 1906 and is never heard from again. Maggie remarries in 1909 to Marvin McKendree Harrell, in Hunt, TX in 1909. By January of 1013, she is dead. The Harrell family says she died of TB. The Harrell family (Maggie's grandaughter by Marvin Harrell - still alive and sharp!) says Maggie told everyone that it took a great deal of effort to have Palmer declared dead so she could remarry to Marvin in 1909. When Maggie died in 1913, Marvin Harrell burned all of her records. The Harrell family has nothing.

Maggie's grave is in McBride Cemetery, in Quinlan, Hunt, TX.

This is all we know!