1 Reply Latest reply on May 24, 2021 10:55 AM by Lyn Rowe

Polish volunteers in US Army in WWII

Maciej Kozak Newbie

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for any information about my great grandfather's, Edward Czernecki (born 24.08.1910 in Nowy Sącz, died December 1978), involvement in US Army operations in WWII. According to his military record book, he served in Polish Army from late August 1939 and was taken captive by Germans on 20.09.1939. Based on his letter from 8.06.1941 he was in German POW camp Stalag XIIB, working in various farms in the area. The military record book mentions, that he escaped the camp on 3.08.1944 to France and that he joined US Army as a volunteer on 15.09.1944. It only says, that he participeted in military operations as private in some kind of mechinezed crew and that he was released from US Army on 18.01.1946.

I would love to find out more about his time in US Army. I can only confirm that he was in Luxemborg on 8.05.1945 when the War ended, based on one photo with the date and location. So I assume he might be involved in liberation of the Luxembourg and maybe in the Battle of the Bulge.

Could you point me in the right direction, please? Is there a database I can use to find the unit he was in? Maybe there is available data on the escapees from Stalag XIIB?

Thank you

• Re: Polish volunteers in US Army in WWII
          Lyn Rowe Wayfarer

Thank you for contacting the History Hub.

Polish citizens who served with the U.S. Army during World War II and during the occupation of Germany and who were not officially inducted into the American Army were considered civilian employees by the U.S. Government. Official Personnel Files (OPFs) and medical information for individuals who worked for the U.S. government in a civilian capacity before 1952 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). Please contact RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov and include the full name used during Federal employment, date of birth, Social Security Number (if applicable), name and location of the employing Federal agency, beginning and ending dates of Federal Service.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this information is helpful, and best of luck with your research!