1 Reply Latest reply on May 24, 2021 12:52 PM by Joshua Mason

    Trying to verify a WWI service number as my grandfather

    Terri Wangard Newbie

      I found my grandfather's name, Harold Neuser, on a U.S. Army Transport Service Arriving and Departing Passenger Lists, 1910-1939.  How can I find the service record to be sure it is my grandfather. He was born in 1904 and supposedly lied about his age to join the army.

        • Re: Trying to verify a WWI service number as my grandfather
          Joshua Mason Adventurer

          Good afternoon,


          Thank you for posting your question on History Hub.


          We suggest that you request a copy of his entire Official Military Personnel File (OMPF).  OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis.  In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued.  Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Due to the coronavirus public health emergency, the National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals which may be faxed to 314-801-0764.   We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.


          We hope this information is helpful and best of luck with your research!