1 Reply Latest reply on May 21, 2021 1:06 PM by Robert Crumley

    Seeking WWI OMPF for grandfather

    Elizabeth Baker Newbie

      My grandfather, Lester Irl Shook, fought in WWI. I have the "U.S., Adjutant General Military Records, 1631-1936" entry for him: U.S., Adjutant General Military RecordsU.S. Adjutant General Military Recordsbut he is not listed on the roster I found for the regiment he was supposed to have been in. http://www.coulthart.com/134/137_roster_alpha_s.htm  I know he was lightly wounded by mustard gas and shrapnel and was hospitalized so that  he missed his ship transport home. https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer/collections/61174/images/46920_3421606189_0125-00864?pId=114225439 . He arrived home on a different ship transport https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer/collections/61174/images/46920_3421606189_0082-00530?pId=8423200

      I am wondering if there was a mistake made either in the Adjutant General Military Records or the roster I found. I would appreciate any advice or help!

        • Re: Seeking WWI OMPF for grandfather
          Robert Crumley Scout

          Dear Elizabeth Baker,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          To request a copy of your grandfather’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Perhaps you could then compare his OMPF with the records you have to help determine if there is an error in them. 


          For more information on Requesting Military Service Records you may want to visit - https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research.