4 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2021 5:12 PM by familytreevets

Looking for information about a Marine from WWII

Edward Nulton Newbie

I’m looking for any information about my grandfather Elwood Jacob Conden. He was a Marine that fought during WWII. I know that he spent time in Okinawa but that’s all I got from him before he passed on.

• Re: Looking for information about a Marine from WWII
          Shane Bell Wayfarer

Dear Mr. Nulton,

Thank you for posting your question on History Hub!

Perhaps the best place to begin would be to request a search for the Official Military Personnel File (OMPF) of Mr. Conden from the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis.  Information on these files and how to order can be found here: https://www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-personnel-archival

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from National Archives. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

• Re: Looking for information about a Marine from WWII
            familytreevets Wayfarer

His Veteran's Compensation file from Pennsylvania gives the follow service:

18 May 1944  Entered the Service, Philadelphia, PA.

18 May 1944 to 8 May 1945 Stateside service.

9 May 1945 to 8 Jan 1946 Overseas service

9 Jan 1946 to 2 Feb 1946 Stateside service

2 Feb 1946 Separated from service, Banbridge, MD.

Service number: 967277

Marine Corps muster rolls are on Ancestry dot com and other paid sites. Here is a summary:

July 1944

Eleventh Recruit Battalion, Recruit Depot, Barracks, Parris Island, S C

October 1944

Aircraft Engineering Squadron 44, USMCAS, Cherry Point, North Carolina

Jan 1945

Mwbs-9, 9Th Maw, Fmf, U. S. Marine Corps Air Station, Cherry Point, North Carolina

July 1945

Marine Fighting Squadron 222, c/o FPO, San Francisco, California.

(he was overseas at his point; this was his mailing address)