6 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2021 1:26 PM by Robert Crumley

Seeking copy of my late cousin's Distinguished Service Cross Citation

Richard Carter Wayfarer

I would appreciate your assistance in obtaining a copy of my late cousin's Distinguished Service Cross Citation. He was killed in action at Oran, Algeria on November 9, 1942 during Operation Torch. He now rests at the North Africa American Cemetery.

• Re: Seeking copy of my late cousin's Distinguished Service Cross Citation
          Elliot Schneider Ranger

Richard,

Can you provide with some additional information on your cousin, name, DOB, place of birth.

Richard Carter Wayfarer

Elliot, Sure thing, Bill was born in Orange County New York on December 11, 1921. As a matter of fact he was born at West Point where his father was stationed (he played the tuba in the band). He attended the New York Military Academy and in 1941 was enrolled at Columbia University where he earned his commission. Although, he was slated to graduate in 1945 he chose to go active in 1942 following his commission. Unfortunately, he was killed in action that same year.

Regarding his award; somewhere/somehow I came across what was his citation but was unable to make the connection as to the details of his action.  Since then I’ve been unsuccessful locating that site again. I wondered if at that time releasing details of a particular action was not done. If it wasn’t for a letter sent from the 26th Regimental Adjacent to Sergeant and Mrs. Pfeil the details would never be known to me.  That letter was gifted to my mother (his cousin) who grew up with him. I do have that letter which I will be donating to the National Purple Heart Hall of Honor. That letter explained how his platoon was pinned down by machine gun fire and him killed taking the nest out.  Actually, the adjacent had been his senior at NYMA and a close friend of the Pfeil family. If your interested I can send you a scan of it. Good luck

Thanks,

Rich Carter

Richard Carter Wayfarer

Elliot, Sorry but I failed to explain that my wife and I attempted to reach out to the Pfeil clan through Facebook, Ancestry, Family Search and on-line phone directories. The purpose in reaching someone was to pass on the letter from the 26th Infantry Regiment Adjutant to a member of that family. Despite considerable attempts we received just one reply. That woman didn't appear interested in any way and we haven't heard from her in months. We were hoping she might also be successful in locating a photo of him in uniform but nothing has been generated so far.

Being that I'm in my seventies and with failing health it's best for me to put the document in safe hands which is why after my application for my cousin to be inducted into the National Purple Heart Hall of Honor was approved I decided to donate the original letter to their museum where it would part of his profile and research material. The purpose in getting a copy of the original citation is to marry it to the letter and since the citation may not have the details surrounding his death the letter and how it was written to the family makes it unique.

Rich

Robert Crumley Wayfarer

Dear Richard Carter,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

For assistance with your request you can contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) staff via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

And if you have not done so already, you may also wish to request a copy of your cousin’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.

For more information on Requesting Military Service Records you may want to visit - https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research.