2 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2021 12:26 PM by Kathleen Burell

    Seeking military record from 1891-1917 for Otto Bach, Troop A, First Cavalry

    Kathleen Burell Newbie

      My great-grandfather, Otto Bach, enlisted in the 1st Cavalry, Troop A, in 1891 and retired in 1917.  For my MA in Public History thesis project, I need a copy of his military record.  I have his service number and Spanish-American War Veteran claim number.  Thanks to the kind and diligent work of your Citizen Archivists, I now have copies of the Enlistment Registers chronicling his enlistment and re-enlistments through the years (although I'm missing the one showing his re-enlistment in 1913).


      Also, does anybody know how to find copy of Army Special Field Orders?  I'm looking for this one:

      • Special Field Orders, No. 33, dated San Bernardino, June 16, 1896


      And, just in case someone knows how to find these, I'm still looking for Cavalry after-action reports, specifically from the time period between 1896 and 1902.


      You all are my heroes - you collectively are being cited for special thanks in my thesis paper!

        • Re: Seeking military record from 1891-1917 for Otto Bach, Troop A, First Cavalry
          Robert Crumley Scout

          Dear Kathleen Burell,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          If you have not done so already, we suggest that you request a copy of your great-grandfather’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          For more information on Army service records of the late 19th/early 20th century, you may be interested in this History Hub blog post.



          The blog post lists record groups from the Spanish American War period that you may find helpful. For additional information on these record groups you may wish to contact the Textual Reference staff (RDT1) at the National Archives at: Archives1reference@nara.gov.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research.