6 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2021 12:08 PM by Catherine Negrycz

next of kin for civil war soldiers in hospital and prisoner of war of confederates

Catherine Negrycz Wayfarer

Are there any records that would list the next of kin for a prisoner of the confederates captured at Charlottesville?  Are there any records of next of kin for a soldier shot at Gettysburg and then in Ward's Hospital in Newark, New Jersey for 8 months?

• Re: next of kin for civil war soldiers in hospital and prisoner of war of confederates
          Elliot Schneider Ranger

Catherine,

Do you have information on the individual you are seeking they do have some Union/Confederate pension records that may contain information on next of kin. Can you provide additional information name, DOB, and place of birth if known or where the family lived.

2 people found this helpful
            • Re: next of kin for civil war soldiers in hospital and prisoner of war of confederates

Dear Elliot,

I had NARA send me the records for both James Mulligan and Peter Mulligan of the 61st Volunteers New York (also called Clinton Guards and Astor Regiment.  There were no pension files.  I also looked at these at NARA in D.C.  The files contained cards from other men who didn't belong in the boxes I was given and turned them into the desk.

James Mulligan was born in 1841 in Co. Louth, Ireland - record only states Ireland, but age seemed accurate.  He is most likely my great grandfather, was shot in Gettysburg and recuperated for about 8 months in Ward's Army Hospital in Newark, New Jersey.

Peter Mulligan was born in 1844 in Co. Louth, Ireland - but age was not accurate.  He was taken prisoner on May 3rd in Charlottesville.

Both were unmarried during their civil war service, but later married and lived in New York City.  Both were coachmen.

I have the carded medical records for both - it seems to me that Peter had what is now called PTSD.

James died in 1900 and Peter in 1904.  I'm trying to find out if there's any information on who would have been contacted in the event of death or for whatever other reason - or even an address that would confirm relationship.

Thank you for replying,

Cathy

Elliot Schneider Ranger

Catherine,

Here is some information and additionally found two separate 1870s census for Philadelphia and the other NY City also both James Mulligan see the family around line item #11-12 listed occupation as Coachman. Also please see where he is buried.https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/157044293/james-mulligan

and possibly his mother https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/166927210/catherine-mulligan

NY 61st Infantry Rolls

http://dmna.ny.gov/historic/reghist/civil/rosters/Infantry/61st_Infantry_CW_Roster.pdf

1860s Census NY City:

1870s Census NY City:

Name:James Mulligan
                  Age in 1870:29
                  Birth Date:abt 1841
                  Birthplace:Ireland
                  Dwelling Number:464
                  Home in 1870:Philadelphia Ward 15 District 43, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
                  Race:White
                  Post Office:1828 Olive St
                  Father of Foreign Birth:Yes
                  Mother of Foreign Birth:Yes
                  Male Citizen Over 21:Yes
                  Inferred Mother:Catharine Mulligan
                  Household MembersAge
                  Catharine Mulligan60
                  James Mulligan29
                  John Mckenna17

Name:James Mulligan
                  Enlistment Age:22
                  Birth Date:abt 1840
                  Enlistment Date:10 Sep 1862
                  Enlistment Place:New York City, New York
                  Enlistment Rank:Private
                  Muster Date:19 Sep 1862
                  Muster Place:New York
                  Muster Company:I
                  Muster Regiment:61st Infantry
                  Muster Regiment Type:Infantry
                  Muster Information:Enlisted
                  Rank Change Rank:Corpl
                  Muster Out Date:5 Jun 1865
                  Muster Out Place:Alexandria, Virginia
                  Muster Out Information:Mustered Out
                  Side of War:Union
                  Survived War?:Yes
                  Title:New York: Report of the Adjutant-General 1893-1906

Name:Peter Mulligan
                  Enlistment Age:19
                  Birth Date:abt 1846
                  Enlistment Date:1 Feb 1865
                  Enlistment Rank:Private
                  Muster Date:1 Feb 1865
                  Muster Place:Massachusetts
                  Muster Company:K
                  Muster Regiment:61st Infantry
                  Muster Regiment Type:Infantry
                  Muster Information:Enlisted
                  Muster Out Date:16 Jul 1865
                  Muster Out Place:Washington, District of Columbia
                  Muster Out Information:Mustered Out
                  Side of War:Union
                  Survived War?:Yes
                  Residence Place:Boston, Massachusetts
                  Title:Massachusetts Soldiers, Sailors and Marines in the Civil War

Dear Elliot,

Thank you so much for all of the records.  Some of them are definitely those of my great grandfather, James Mulligan.  The 1870 census in NYC is the family and the FInd A Grave listing is his - I put it up there.  I don't think the Philadelphia records belong to my family.  He was in the 61st Infantry.  His mother was Bridget and father was Thomas.  I have to put them on Find A Grave along with some of the other children of both James and Peter.

I am still going through some of the records you sent and thank you so very much for your efforts on my behalf.

Cathy

Tracy Skrabut Adventurer

Dear Catherine,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub.

During the Civil War, there was no formal process for notifying next of kin, and these records, generally, do not include next of kin information. I might recommend, however,  requesting a search for a pension file, if it exists, for the soldier you are researching. Such information may re recorded there.

The majority of Civil War pension files in the Records of the Department of Veterans Affairs (Record Group 15) are in the custody of the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1). To request a search and order copies of military pension application files based on Federal (not State or Confederate) service during the Civil War, please complete a NATF Form 85 and mail it to the address on the form.

You may also wish to research whether or not the veteran you are looking for might have been married, and whether or not his widow might have submitted a pension request as well. These records are, in large part, digitized online at Fold3, but you may also wish to reach out to our DC unit for such a search as well.

You may also wish in inquire as to whether records exist for Ward's Hospital in the following series, also at out DC Unit:

Field Records of Hospitals, 1821 - 1912

https://catalog.archives.gov/id/655731

We hope this is helpful in your research.

Tracy

1 person found this helpful