3 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2021 3:25 PM by Elliot Schneider

    Seeking when, where & how uncle died during WWII

    Jose Garcia Newbie

      I'd like confirmation of when, where and how my uncle died during WWII.  I find it difficult to find Army records and unit histories because I'm not sure when and where he died or what unit he was assigned to. He is actually my father's uncle.  My father and I are both U.S. Army Infantrymen, and both of us are combat Veterans, as was our uncle Adrian.  My father was especially close to his uncle, but the family doesn't know much about the events preceding our uncle's death, or the operation in which he was killed.  My father is 89, and still pretty active.  It would be nice to give him some closure before he passes.

        • Re: Seeking when, where & how uncle died during WWII
          Jose Garcia Newbie


          We found the headstone.  This resolves the unit and the date of death.

          I'd like to find any unit operations reports or unit (company, battalion, regiment) documents.  Of special interest are documents for the week of 12 through 18 April 1945.  The 180th Infantry was assigned to the 45th Infantry Division during that time.   Thanks.

          1 person found this helpful
            • Re: Seeking when, where & how uncle died during WWII
              Vincent Turpin Wayfarer

              Dear Mr. Garcia,


              Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


              The document which would provide you with the most intimate details concerning the death of a service member would be the Individual Deceased Personnel File (IDPF). IDPFs for the U.S. Army for 1939-1976, surnames A-L, are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis. Please email stl.archives@nara.gov to access these records.


              If you have not done so already, we also suggest that you request a copy of Adrian G. Garcia’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


              Additionally, the National Archives Textual Reference Archives II Branch (RR2RR) has custody of the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917- (Record Group 407) and the Records of U.S. Army Operational, Tactical, and Support Organizations (World War II and Thereafter) (Record Group 338).  Military unit files among these records consist mostly of historical reports, operations (or “after action”) reports, unit journals, and general orders. We searched the National Archives Catalog and located World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917-1985 (Record Group 407) that may include records for the 180th Infantry Regiment and the dates you have specified. For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.


              You may also wish to consult the relevant volume(s) of the U.S. Army’s official history of World War II, U.S. Army in World War II. Known colloquially as the “green books,” these volumes can be invaluable in assisting the layman in understanding military operations during a particular phase of World War II. The “green books” are available electronically and without charge via the website of the U.S. Army’s Center of Military History located at the following URL: https://history.army.mil/index.html.


              We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!


              • Re: Seeking when, where & how uncle died during WWII
                Elliot Schneider Ranger



                Here is a link for the yearbook that came out after the war, and your uncle is mentioned in the Roll of Honor but no pictures. https://digicom.bpl.lib.me.us/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1050&context=ww_reg_his


                You would nee to request his IDPFs also known as Individual Deceased Personnel Files.


                Individual Deceased Personnel File (IDPF). IDPFs from 1940-1976 for personnel with surnames that begin with A-L are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL), P.O. Box 38757, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002. For access to these records, please contact RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov.


                Here is his burial Headstone Application.