1 Reply Latest reply on May 13, 2021 4:44 PM by Lyn Rowe

    WWII Navy Nurse records from Great Lakes, IL

    Maureen Fitzgerald Newbie

      Helen Ruth O'Donnell, my mother, was stationed at Great Lakes, IL as a Navy Nurse from 15 Nov 1944 to 2 Jul 1946.  Where can I find records pertaining to her service?  Her date of birth is 5 Jun 1921. Thank you, Maureen Fitzgerald

        • Re: WWII Navy Nurse records from Great Lakes, IL
          Lyn Rowe Wayfarer

          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and medical records of enlisted men/women of the U.S. Navy who were separated from the service after 1885 and before 1959 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC.  Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          We also searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Cadet Nurse Corps Files, 1943 - 1948 in the Records of the Public Health Service (Record Group  90) that contain information such as the name of the cadet; serial number; name of the nursing school or hospital, address of the school, and dates attended; statistical information about the cadet such as age, hometown, marital status, occupation of cadet's father, and how cadet found out about the program; and some post-graduate information such as the name of the university or hospital and what degree earned.  The files are arranged alphabetically by the name of the cadet for those who entered the program in May 1944 and later. These files are digitized and available using the Catalog.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          We hope this information is helpful, and best of luck with your research!